New Quizzes - Add HTML

0 Likes
(1)

This was archived without explanation and I desperately need this capability. The archivist only noted that the requested capability was redundant to the WYSIWYG editor. But the specific use case misses the bigger picture. This was a request to provide HTML editing capacity in New Quizzes, editing that provides direct access to HTML and MathML code entry. The uses for this will always be more than can be listed or cited.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (3)
3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi -

The open ideaNew Quizzes - RCE to match Canvas may meet the need to access HTML for all question types, and it's also In Development. Would this request help you meet your needs? If not, could you expand your thoughts a little more so I can better understand how you and your students would need to leverage an HTML editor?

Thank you!

danaleeling
Community Participant

Thanks - yes, that would meet my need as the new RCE provides access to HTML. That would be an effective and logical solution. As that appears to be a feature in active development, I would recommend archiving this. A note on the original New Quizzes - Add HTML pointing to the RCE request for New Quizzes as a solution would be helpful!

As an instructor I write in HTML and MathML in code edit mode, that is how I compose. That said, there are other uses for being able to edit code. One of them is a niche cache. At our institution we are seeing a rare issue where a student, usually on a Windows laptop, is seeing page load failures in New Quizzes where LaTeX has been added into multiple choice question answers by direct delimited entry. The question arose that since the description did not include LaTeX, maybe MathJax was failing to launch for these students for some reason. Again, this is rare and in an online course where we cannot get "hand on" the affected laptops. I wanted to put MathML code into the question description to see if perhaps a failure to trigger MathJax loading might be the issue for these rare cases. Unlikely, but a possibility. We have not filed this as an issue because it is rare, we do not have access to the affected computers, and we do not yet fully understand what might be happening. The College of Micronesia-FSM is spread across four islands (Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei, and Kosrae) as far apart as Denver is from New York roughly. Bandwidth and connectivity are problematic and are more often the issue. So we do as much local troubleshooting as we can prior to filing an issue. More often than not the issue is limited connectivity causing failure to fully load all of the libraries driving a page. Pardon the long explanation, but being able to get under the WYSIWYG is useful here.

[Bandwidth limits are what drive my use of MathML: images do not always load here, MathML loads with the HTML. For a similar reason I use SVG for diagrams as much as I can. Again, hand coded to keep the code tight and as small as possible!]

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived