New Quizzes: Add Media Recording to Text Editor

(99)

I would love for there to be an audio option embedded in the Quizzes.Next text editor so that I could record an audio of me reading the question directly to each question. You can now record one somewhere else like Audacity and then upload the file to the question, but it's time consuming. You can record directly into a Page in Canvas, so I'm wondering if it's an easy fix to make it possible to record directly into a quiz question. 

Idea is currently in development
74 Comments
jgill11
Community Novice

I would love to be able to record in Canvas for any quiz question item rather than have to record and upload each time I need an audio file.  Language teachers rely heavily on audiovisual material and being bale record directly in a question type would be an asset (video option as well would be awesome).  I spent a lot of time having to create, download, save, and then upload into Canvas.  But for all question types, being able to use audio or video would be an asset.

mooremath1
Community Member

I would love for the Audio Recorder to be built into every part of the New Quizzes (Instructions, stimulus, questions, etc.). I teach special education high school math so any Immersive Reader type extension is useless due to equations and math symbols.

I exclusively use one new quiz each day and nothing else. I have everything including notes, embedded lessons, embedded tools, practice, homework, etc. in a single New Quiz. This is more efficient for me and much easier for the students to navigate.

The only special ed accommodation I am struggling with right now is having the problems read to the students. I know that it is possible to record the audio using an external tool and then upload, etc. but that is so inefficient and time consuming. I am not understanding why the audio record feature is not built into the New Quizzes like it is the Old Quizzes.

hglasser
Community Explorer

Having this feature that would enable instructors to make recordings directly from within the text editor in New Quizzes and also enable students to insert a recording in their response (e.g., through an 'Essay' type question and clicking to insert media from the rich content editor or through completing a new question type that solely focuses on media recordings) would be very valuable!

breklis
Community Participant

Please add the ability for students to record audio or video directly into a quiz question response in Quizzes.Next. This capability is available in old quizzes, but not yet in new quizzes.

mmcmillion
Community Member

Please continue to rate this idea 5 Stars (you'll find the rating at the landing page of this idea), we need to get it to the top of the priority list for Canvas New Quizzes!!!  All kids can benefit from this feature!

hglasser
Community Explorer

Can @mmcmillion or someone else please share a screencast and/or step-by-step instructions showing where I need to go and what I need to do in order to rate this idea? Thanks!

snugent
Community Champion

This option is really important for instructors who teach a foreign language as many assess students' knowledge of the language by having students recording themselves speaking the language in a quiz. As institution that purchased the Studio integration, this is also important to have Studio option in new quizzes. 

mmcmillion
Community Member

When you find this thread (the image is what I see on my landing page of this site), click on the stars to rate this idea.  We need as many 5-star ratings as possible!!When you find this thread (the image is what I see on my landing page of this site), click on the stars to rate this idea. We need as many 5-star ratings as possible!!

hglasser
Community Explorer

Thanks @mmcmillion! Unfortunately, when I go there I still don't see how I go about leaving a rating. Here's a screencast showing what I see: https://www.loom.com/share/d0d839e8ca1f4afd9e815ad5f6a5ffe9

If you or someone else can provide more info on how I can rate this idea, I'd really appreciate it!

snugent
Community Champion

Click the stars to rate the idea.  It is confusing because the stars change to yellow but then back to black. I really don't like the new Community site. 

hglasser
Community Explorer

Thanks @snugent! That was the step I was missing!

jennifersimpson
Community Member

I hope this conversation is still active as I believe this tool would be highly beneficial.  I have several students who have an accommodation that asks for the question to be read aloud to them, and being able to quickly record each question while I am building the quiz would make this so much easier.  Currently, I record on my computer, save it to Google Drive, and link it.  Each quiz with 20 questions takes almost 2 hours to build this way because of all the extra time spent uploading and linking everywhere. Please consider adding a recording tool into Quizzes.next.

t-swenson
Community Member

Being able to record audio and media directly in the content editor for New Quizzes (just as can be done in the Rich Content Editor for classic quizzes) would be so supportive, especially for young students who need directions read to them. Another suggestion would be for .mov to be an accepted uploadable file type. 

rguzik1
Community Novice

December 18, 2020...

Has there been any progress on having a record feature added to Canvas Quizzes?  Having multiple students need the quiz read to them and not having this feature is making it difficult.

Thank you,

Bob Guzik

Colonial Middle School

dkline3
Community Member

I use this feature a lot in classic quizzes both providing students with listening comprehension, and having them submit oral responses. 

Being able to have students submit oral responses, is necessary for language teachers.

kristenrush
Community Novice

Please, please, PLEASE add this feature into the new Quizzes. It's a huge loss from the classic Quizzes. We HAVE to have oral accommodations for quite a few students (junior high level) and losing this feature makes us out of compliance if we use Canvas to provide the assessment. At this point, Canvas is forcing us to come up with alternatives. I know we can pre-record and then add the reading but that is ridiculously cumbersome. 

Thank you for considering adding this feature back into Quizzes. 

cborja
Community Explorer

Having the Recording option built into the RCE in New Quizzes is a must for us. When students take assessments, especially now when they are remote, we apply a blocking plan using Dyknow by not having the recording option setup right into Canvas we have to allow them to access other software and locations on their computers opening up opportunities to cheat and/or plagiarism.  Please add this feature back to New Quizzes.

lmhanson2011
Community Novice

As a foreign language teacher, I really need the insert audio feature to directly embed audio into a New Quizzes questions. This would make my life so much easier--especially since I have students who need read-alouds.

jchronister
Community Member

Yes- With Classic Quizzes slated to leave in July, This needs to be in place for our teachers to move forward. We hate to see a drop in functionality with all of our ELD students. 

creath_leslie
Community Member

Yes! This would be wonderful and would save me SO much time!