New Quizzes: Add Media Recording to Text Editor

(99)

I would love for there to be an audio option embedded in the Quizzes.Next text editor so that I could record an audio of me reading the question directly to each question. You can now record one somewhere else like Audacity and then upload the file to the question, but it's time consuming. You can record directly into a Page in Canvas, so I'm wondering if it's an easy fix to make it possible to record directly into a quiz question. 

Idea is currently in development
74 Comments
sharongan
Community Novice

Media recording is also necessary in medical terminology courses for nursing/health programs. 

pecchiog
Community Participant

Canvas quizzes are amazing, both old quizzes and quizzes.next. But the built in recorder is a huge asset when it comes to gaining buy-in from teachers. 

boozerl
Community Explorer

The ability to record directly into the quiz is an essential tool for us. I love New Quizzes, but I have to go back to the classic version because it takes too much time to record in an outside program and then have to upload into Canvas. PLEASE add this feature.

joanne_pinder
Community Explorer

The record feature definitely needs to be added so that students (I'm third grade) can use a read aloud option.  On top of this, when migrating from Classic Quizzes to the new quizzes, the audio needs to be able to migrate.  It is so much time to rerecord all of the classic quizzes.  Please also comment for keeping audio when migrating at 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17380-migrating-from-old-quizzes-to-new-quizzes-keeping-audio-...

kelly_tagle
Community Novice

As a World Languages teacher I would like for students to be able to easily upload media (audio/video) to their quiz response, for use in assessing Speaking Proficiency.  This is available in old Assignments but not old Quizzes.  As for the new Quizzes, I don't see that I'm able to use the old work around (submission type is Essay, students click on upload video in menu bar).  This functionality will be critical for World Languages classroom during Distance Learning.

alallen
Community Participant

Canvas, PLEASE add audio recording to New Quizzes. Our entire district is shifting to Canvas K-12 and being able to record audio is a big selling point for K-6 and SPED teachers. Having students be able to respond with audio recordings right in Canvas is huge. Uploading outside files is not a good option for elementary kids. As the Canvas coach at my school this missing feature in New Quizzes makes the sell that much harder. Please add this ASAP!

stellyw
Community Novice

Please, please, please add an option to create audio in new quizzes, like in classic quizzes. This is so important, especially during elearning time when students might be working without an adult nearby. 

sberm512
Community Member

This thread is almost two years old??  Why have they not added in this desperately needed feature, especially when we all need it for remote teaching??  So disappointing!  Please count me as another vote for "NEW" quizzes to have audio recording capability built in, like OLD quizzes does.  Wow.

apinson1
Community Member

I agree that this is desperately needed.  I am still using the old quizzes specifically because the new one lacks this feature.  Does my comment count as a VOTE for this?  I need to know how to VOTE if not....  

greenj
Community Explorer

We just trained all our teachers in old quizzes and they all love the media recording feature, especially with our virtual world we are teaching in now.  We started looking in to new quizzes and found this feature has been removed.  That is a huge step in the wrong direction.  We vote 1000 times to put this back ASAP.

MsJonesTheatre
Community Member

Please, do add the Media Recorder to the New Quizzes!!!! The RCE is perfect, why change it to make it more difficult for students and teachers? Our students requiring accommodations for written expression and reading NEED to hear our voice recording of the directions and the questions read aloud, especially since we are mostly teaching virtually.  Our students who need accommodations value being able to record their answers as a media file.  

Losing this in New Quizzes will be devastating for teachers and students.  It takes far too much time to record using an outside source, and it eats up storage on our devices.  

thank you.   

Tyehartman
Community Novice

PLEASE add the ability to record audio within New Quizzes and allow the audio recorded in Classic Quizzes to transfer to New Quizzes with the migration. Not having this option is keeping educators tied to Classic Quizzes. I also agree that this thread is 2 years old, and you have had numerous posts asking for these features, with no response or resolution. Please update the status of this request. 

MadameSchreck
Community Member

I was so excited to finally have access to New Quizzes but as a French teacher who had an entire standard dedicated to listening, I feel really limited by not having the record option. I'm well aware of the work around of recording it elsewhere then uploading but as others have mentioned, that's much more time consuming and inefficient. I hope this feature is added soon! 

dkline3
Community Member

My students need to be able to record responses, and classic quizzes made it possible for the recording to run smoothly like an interview or a simulated conversation, and students could stay in canvas. New quizzes needs the record option in essay questions brought back, or at least a recorded question option added in.

apinson1
Community Member

Hey guys!!!  I see that so many of you are interested in this feature being added....  You need to "RATE" the idea to get Canvas's attention to it.... please go back to the original post (I got there by clicking on the link in the email I received when someone commented).  Below the post there are 5 stars....  You rate how important this feature is to you... the most highly rated features get their attention first.... right now only 4 people have rated this idea, but 30+ have commented... GO RATE IT!!!!  Thanks y'all.

ao60
Community Member

Please add a media recorder to Canvas. It's very important for those students who need questions and answer choices read to them.

wolfpacker76
Community Novice

This feature to easily add recorded teacher read material is essential to meet student accommodations. Please work to have this feature added.

Knappmm
Community Novice

I spent an entire day trying to figure out how the kids could record themselves for a test in Quizzes.Next. I am ticked off that it is not a feature yet. This thread was started over a year ago.

jennifer_lyles
Community Member

I agree that more teachers would use the new quizzes platform if media recording was available within each question.

rfwomack
Community Member

Yes.  Please make this change.