New Quizzes: Add Media Recording to Text Editor

(99)

I would love for there to be an audio option embedded in the Quizzes.Next text editor so that I could record an audio of me reading the question directly to each question. You can now record one somewhere else like Audacity and then upload the file to the question, but it's time consuming. You can record directly into a Page in Canvas, so I'm wondering if it's an easy fix to make it possible to record directly into a quiz question. 

Idea is currently in development
74 Comments
amber_hainline
Community Participant

This is a universal accommodation that must be available to users! 

bosung_kim
Community Explorer

The Recording option built into the RCE of Classic Quiz has been used widely by language instructors. Please make this recording option available in the RCE of New Quizzes so instructors could embed audio directly into questions and students could also record audio answers directly. 

KARLAMIRELES
Community Novice

THIS IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT FEATURE!! PLEASE do not take out the ability to record audio and video embedded in the creation of assignments and quizzes! It is extremely valuable for elementary and accommodating the needs of 504, SpEd, etc.... 

DrDMiller
Community Member

Yes, we need to be able to record audio easily while making a quiz. This is a great feature in the old quizzes. I haven't made any quizzes in the new format because it doesn't have an easy audio recording function.

susan_baglin
Community Explorer

The ability to record audio directly in Canvas New quizzes for both teachers and students is my top request as a language teacher as it is very important for assessing listening and speaking. 

We can do it in an assignment (and we had the ability to do it in Classic Quizzes). Why remove such a critical feature in what is mostly a greatly improved Quiz tool?

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Hello all, 

I'm so excited to be able to communicate that we are making progress toward this need. Some have noted that the New RCE does include the ability to record audio. When we update to the New RCE in New Quizzes, it will be possible to record a question with your own audio recording.

At the end of last year, I took note of themes I was seeing and asked for feedback here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/New-Quizzes-looking-forward-2021/ba-p/427074 Why the New RCE is important it talked about in this context.

After getting more community feedback, I then communicated the Priorities for New Quizzes in 20201 here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/Quizzes-Planned-Priorities-and-Roadmap-2021/bc-p...  You can expect the New RCE in New Quizzes shortly!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

amy_koger
Community Explorer

Yes - Please add this feature to new quizzes!  I have many classic quizzes with audio instruction for students and I fear I am going to lose them as they currently don't transfer with the migration of old to new quizzes.  

AaronKraft
Community Member

I would like to also throw in my support for a media recording option in New Quizzes. This is a crucial feature of Classic Quizzes that many of my faculty are currently utilizing. 

dskutt
Community Participant

I agree as well with one modification to the original suggestion. I recommend a video as well as an audio record option. I occasionally have students record a video and upload it directly to Canvas. The video record feature is easy to use and is less stressful for students than having to jump through hoops to record on their device and upload that recording. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dskutt 

The Rich Content Editor (RCE) allows instructors and students to record media—not only audio, but also video—so in line with Susan's comment above, when the standard Canvas RCE is implemented in New Quizzes, this idea will be fulfilled in its entirety: no need for modification. Thanks for this feedback! 🙂

lgarmire
Community Coach
Community Coach

We use this tool in Classic Quizzes for all of our World Language courses. We need this tool in New Quizzes. I know we could create an assignment to use the built-in recorder there, but with a quiz, other questions can also be asked and fewer assessments that a teacher needs to go to grade.

bontomasin
Community Explorer

This feature would be very valuable for accommodation as well as our foreign language teachers and ELL learners. Please consider adding this. We are confused why so many of the best features from claassic quizzes were left off of new quizzes. 

TamasBalogh
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi everyone,

Please check my post about new RCE in New Quizzes!