[New Quizzes] Add Student Analysis report with option to download

New Quizzes reports do not include the Student Analysis report as seen in Classic Quizzes. Our faculty use this report to track completion of students.  Currently the reports offered in New Quizzes do not allow download ability and this is highly important to our faculty. 

Added to Theme

20 Comments
jeffreyrobert
Community Member

Please add a downloadable csv for the New Quiz tool. I use these excel files to quickly evaluate questions and student answers. The additional functionality in excel allows me to view aggregate data that speed grader cannot identify.

Here's a simple example. Recently, I gave my students (class size 50) a quiz (20 questions). On one questions, only 6 students correctly calculated the statistics. I need to throw out the question, but I want to reward the 6 students who earned the points. With the New Quiz tool, I have to manually go through each student to find who answered it correctly. With an excel csv, I could find the answer in less than 15 seconds. 

Please bring back this lost functionality! 

JamesBrockNZ
Community Novice

Please can we have a Student Analysis report function in New Quizzes.

Not being able to download and analyse individual student responses to questions is a massive issue and I have simply stopped using New Quizzes.

allison_adams
Community Participant

Ability to download the Student analysis csv form is VITAL to nursing exams! This function should be available in new quizzes.

seharpe
Community Member

This has been an ongoing request (at least 3yr back) in the discussion forums. The ability to download a file (e.g., a CSV file) of all student results for an assessment in New Quizzes (similar to what can be done in Classic Quizzes) is such a basic feature that it's not clear why this isn't part of New Quizzes. Many of us need these for a variety of reasons (accreditation, learning mastery, record keeping, review and manipulation, etc.). The idea that this will be retired when Classic Quizzes goes away is frightening...and a reason to leave Canvas completely.

JuneB
Community Member

I agree with others that this is a reason to stop using Canvas.

Just as one example: I give my students a survey at the beginning of the course to determine which topics we'll be covering during the last 3 weeks. To ensure that the topic selection is fair, the first topic is chosen by popularity, but then the students who wanted that topic are removed from the pool before the next topic is chosen. After that topic is chosen, those students are also removed from the pool. And so on.

This is easy to do in Excel. It's impossible to do with the reports you now offer. Meaning that, this semester, I have to MANUALLY copy all of my students' responses into an Excel file. I will be switching back to old quizzes next semester. If/when the old quizzes are removed, I'll encourage my institution to stop using Canvas unless this feature has been added by then.

This is absolutely ridiculous. How could you not realize this feature was an essential tool for many instructors? Why on Earth would you remove it?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

LuciaHassell
Community Member
Problem statement:

Currently, NEW Quizzes does not offer an option to export ALL student responses to a spreadsheet.

Proposed solution:

Add a feature to export ALL student responses to a spreadsheet so teachers can see all student responses in one spreadsheet [similar to Google Forms]. This would allow teachers to easily access/navigate through all responses from one window AND this file makes for easy sharing amongst teaching teams.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta

MPioRoda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

I've adjusted the Title so that it clearly ties this request to exporting in New Quizzes.  Thank you for submitting your idea!

rsavelkoul
Community Member
Problem statement:

Many teachers use quiz results to create small groups for instruction. In New Quizzes, Quiz Statistics by student are not yet available. This is an essential component of formative assessment that is missing from this new assessment tool in Canvas. Example: 52 students in two sections are given a 10 question quiz. Based on initial review, students struggled with Question #2, 5, and 10. The teacher would like to view the student results by section so that they can work with those students who did not understand the question. Based on their response, students who answered Question #2 with A might have a different misunderstanding than those who answered C, when the correct answer was B. This feature is currently available in Classic Quizzes.

Proposed solution:

Replicate the Quiz Statistics in New Quizzes.

User role(s):

admin,designer