[New Quizzes] Allow Quiz Regrade for Questions Linked to Banks

We heavily use the question bank folders to keep our questions organized.  We create them in the banks since it is the only way to keep them from going into an "unfiled" folder.

The regrade feature needs to be allowed for questions linked to banks.  If the question is wrong in one quiz, it is wrong everywhere so I fail to see what it matters if it is referenced multiple places.  Regrading is critical to fair grading and it makes no sense to either be stuck with a choice between a completely disorganized question database and losing the regrade option.

Added to Theme

70 Comments
jwillis1
Community Novice

REALLY need to be able to re-grade questions from a question bank!!!  I am using question banks in order to randomize the test questions pulled up to reduce the rate of cheating on my tests.  As far as I understood, this was best practice.  Imagine my surprise when I went to fix a question that I keyed in wrong and realized that I have to manually fix the problem on all of the tests!  I have 60 students!!  This is ridiculous!  I have been teaching online for almost 20 years, and this is the FIRST online platform that did not allow an automatic re-grade for questions from a question bank.  I don't even know why this is something worth debating.  If a question in a question bank is wrong, you should be able to fix it and automatically fix the grades on all of the tests.  PLEASE tell me how to fix this the correct way instead of manually changing grades!

kona
Community Champion

@jwillis1 ​, one way to randomize and keep the ability to regrade is to add the questions from your question bank to the quiz group instead of linking them. This way you can keep the power of randomizing your questions, but also have the ability to regrade.

jwillis1
Community Novice

But I like randomize within each chapter, so that I know that each student has 10 questions from chapter 7, but it randomly pulls 10 out of the 50 I created. This seems like the most logical set-up. Why would regrading not be offered for this set-up??? It has been offered on all of my other online teaching environments. I'm really becoming quite dissatisfied with the decision to switch to Canvas...

kona
Community Champion

You can still do this, just create a different question group for each chapter and specify the number of questions (10) you want from that question group.

I'm definitely not arguing about whether or not Canvas should have this feature. I voted for this feature while it was still open for voting and miss it from our previous LMS. Unfortunately Canvas doesn't have this feature, which is why we figured out the work around that seems to work just as well as linking. Yet, it was an adjustment because our previous LMS had this functionality, but we've been using Canvas for 2+ years and overall have been very happy with it. In addition, while Canvas doesn't have this specific functionality, it has a lot of other functionalities that our previous LMS didn't have, is much more stable, and overall a lot easier for faculty and students to use. So we lost one here, but gained in many other areas.

jwillis1
Community Novice

Thanks for the work-around! Doesn't help with the test I need to re-grade from a couple of weeks ago. I was completely satisfied with our previous LMS, but the college decided to change it. I am less satisfied with Canvas. My communication with the students seems less reliable, b/c they keep asking me the same stupid questions repeatedly (stuff that's on the syllabus), my home page is less informative because of formatting limitations, and grading manually graded tests is much harder. Now, this...I'm just not happy with the change.

Julie Willis

kona
Community Champion

Smiley Sad I'm sorry to hear things haven't been going that well. Smiley Sad

I'm not sure which LMS you switched from, but our experience was that students got more information/notifications from Canvas than they ever did from our previous LMS (Angel). Could it possibly be the way they have their notification settings configured? Here's a guide that helps explain notification preferences and it might be something you could provided to students with a recommendation about how they should set theirs up - How do I set my Notification Preferences? Also, as a side note, I also teach and had my online students do a syllabus quiz (worth no points towards the course) that they had to pass with a 100% before they could move on in the course. It really helped cut down on the "it's in the syllabus" questions.

For your homepage, what type of stuff are you trying to do? Here's a great resource (and discussion) for homepage development - Creating an inviting course home page. In general if you've got a certain way you'd like things set-up my recommendation is to ask (if you haven't already) how to do it in the Instructional Designers group in the Community. It's an amazing group who is super talented, creative, and always willing to help!

For grading manually graded questions, I'm assuming you're talking about grade one question at a time not really working? I will fully admit our faculty (even after 2+ years) are sad about not having this feature (or at least a fully functional feature). Yet, I know that Speedgrader is one of the areas that is going to get overhauled in the coming year so hopefully this will be something that gets added to the functionality!

shouser
Community Novice

How do I vote for this?  I don't see a vote button anywhere!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Unfortunately this Enhancement Idea did not make it to the 100 votes needed to move to the next level and was archived on Wed. September 2, 2015.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Susan is correct.  You can find more on the voting process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Scott,

At 82 votes this one got close but didn't quite make it over the threshold.  You will find more info about how you can give ideas like this one a second chance, referenced in the document that Renee linked to.

Thanks!