[New Quizzes] Allow Quiz Regrade for Questions Linked to Banks

We heavily use the question bank folders to keep our questions organized.  We create them in the banks since it is the only way to keep them from going into an "unfiled" folder.

The regrade feature needs to be allowed for questions linked to banks.  If the question is wrong in one quiz, it is wrong everywhere so I fail to see what it matters if it is referenced multiple places.  Regrading is critical to fair grading and it makes no sense to either be stuck with a choice between a completely disorganized question database and losing the regrade option.

Added to Theme

70 Comments
mannygites
Community Novice

It's sort of a joke that this feature is not supported.  We are building an online teaching platform that is based entirely on Canvas.  Who wants to sit there and fix 400-500 individual student grades?

manels23
Community Novice

I couldn't agree more. I had to manually fix 450 grades and it took about 10-12 hours. It seems unreasonable that we have been "voting" on this for nearly 5 years.

sseymour
Community Novice

4+ years later and this isn't fixed / added?  

Have had to move to elearning due to COVID-19 and finding that the online quiz tools issued by Canvas are probably not worth the price tag!

michael9
Community Novice

I work with technology every waking hour of my life, and you can just tell when people developing software have a genuine passion about it, and just push and push to make it the best they possibly can. I think about Xcode, an IDE that Apple develops; Flutter, a technology from Google; and Visual Studio Code from Microsoft; finely honed tools that just feel like the designers never let their engineers run the show. Canvas is, I am sorry to say, not in this category. It is a walking advertisement for bad UX decisions that cost their users, collectively, millions of hours a year in frustration and lost productivity.  I know this sounds harsh, but Canvas is *not* a cheap product, used all over the world, and its users -- teachers and students alike -- deserve better.

kmcgrath
Community Participant

For the first time this semester, I went to the trouble of setting up a question bank, and now I find that I can't run re-grades.  This issue was raised 5 years ago, and at that time, apparently some of the up votes were counted as downs.  How can we "re-grade" the voting here?  Please re-open this issue for voting.  

d_hupkes
Community Novice

Please implement this! It would save so many of us so much time, especially now that we are all "covid19-teaching".

wojtkowskik
Community Novice

So what is up with this suggestion? Do we need to resubmit it since it failed 5 years ago? I link to question banks because it is easy to randomize questions. In addition, if I move those questions to the quiz, they are gone from the question bank. I have realized several times during this quick 4 week course that I have not chosen the correct answer for the question. Students ask me about it, I change it in the question bank (so when I relink to that bank for the exam it is at least right there), however I have to manually go in and regrade that question on the original quiz for EVERY student! I think once I got a notification that the quiz had changed and did I want to save it and it showed up as regraded on several students' gradebooks, but I have no idea how I made that happen!

dgj538
Community Explorer

I didn't see this initially and just submitted the Idea, but then got directed here by Canvas. Here's my two cents for good measure. Canvas, PLEASE listen to people (5 years people have been asking for it?!?) and make this change!!!

-----------------------------

Question banks are a great way to provide students with unique, randomly populated exams. Used together with options like one-at-a-time, no backtracking, and providing a quiz timer, I feel confident in providing students tests they can take remotely, as these options render collaboration almost useless.

HOWEVER, it's also very easy to make a mistake like selecting the wrong answer when creating questions (I just had this happen), and the ability to modify questions after the quiz has been taken and regrade accordingly is a MUST.

UNFORTUNATELY, Canvas currently does not support regrading of quizzes whose questions are drawn from banks, which from my perspective renders the question banks feature nearly useless, as there's no room for error in the creation process.

The reason given doesn't make any sense to me: "Quiz regrade does not apply to questions linked to a question bank since questions may be used in more than one quiz." SO WHAT if the question is used in more than one quiz?!? If I messed up and selected the wrong correct answer in an MC quiz, even if that question has been used more than once I still want the option to fix my mistake and regrade every quiz where students erroneously received the wrong grade, without having to manually grade every exam.

PLEASE, Canvas, allow us to regrade quizzes with questions drawn from question banks!!

dgj538
Community Explorer

"... much closer to a bug than a feature request." Agreed 100%. Cost me a couple of hours to manually regrade, and still the problem isn't really fixed—just student grades are fixed, but the wrong answers are still shown as being "correct". It's just silly that they haven't fixed this.

jte076
Community Novice

Agreed. Not being able to regrade quiz questions that come from a bank make the banks a pretty sketchy tool. We make mistakes. All we need is to be able to manually fix them. Thx.