[New Quizzes] Allow Quiz Regrade for Questions Linked to Banks

We heavily use the question bank folders to keep our questions organized.  We create them in the banks since it is the only way to keep them from going into an "unfiled" folder.

The regrade feature needs to be allowed for questions linked to banks.  If the question is wrong in one quiz, it is wrong everywhere so I fail to see what it matters if it is referenced multiple places.  Regrading is critical to fair grading and it makes no sense to either be stuck with a choice between a completely disorganized question database and losing the regrade option.

Added to Theme

70 Comments
gliese876d
Community Participant

HOW IS THIS NOT A SOLVED PROBLEM YET?! Seriously??  What kind of amateurish LMS system does not allow a re-grade from test bank questions?

sarah_carlson
Community Member

Google forms quiz option and gradecam both offer this feature. It would make teachers' lives much easier. 

mjohnson1001
Community Member

With COVID forcing online exams in many cases, using question groups is a great way to switch up exams to encourage students to do their own work.  It is RIDICULOUS that we can not fix mistakes in questions and get a regrade without manually going through EVERY exam to update the grade.  PLEASE fix this so that updates in the question bank update in quizzes where they are used!!!!! Absolutely ridiculous that we still have to be asking you to fix this after 5 years.

kclancy
Community Member

You are a service we pay for and you should provide the features we need not the ones you think are important. Five Years and you still haven't fixed this problem. Regrading quizzes is an incredibly important feature and the fact that you make it available demonstrates this but if I build my quizzes using banks, which you recommend, I cannot. Now one error has to be fixed manually for thirty five students across 4 class sections...Unacceptable BS

dustindummer
Community Novice

To clarify, I believe the original post is saying that questions pulled from pools into Quizzes (or any assessment) should be linked. If that is correct I fully agree. If you update a question in an exam it should update the original question in the pool and any assessment that contains the question. That's how it works in Moodle and I assume Blackboard. 

ryanmartinez
Community Member

Agreed. I have multiple faculty who have to use question banks because of how new.quizzes breaks everything when you import from classic quizzes and not being able to have this functionality is galling. If Instructure paid more attention to basic functionality over confetti there would be a lot less disgruntled faculty. 

acgray
Community Novice

I also don't think the question bank is a useful tool without the opportunity to regrade quizzes when a wrong answer was accidentally coded. 

milesl
Community Contributor

We're encouraging instructors to use question banks to randomize question selection and reinforce academic integrity, but instructors are (rightfully) pushing back because of this limitation.

Not being able to re-grade a question from a question/item bank makes grading harder and disincentivizes one of canvas quizzes/new quizzes most valuable features (ability to randomize question selection).

lemonsle
Community Explorer

As usual Canvas finds a way to screw with faculty who are just trying to provide the best possible experiences to students. Why hasn't this been fixed yet? Canvas prides itself on "opportunities for new ideas" but five years is just ridiculous for something to come into fruition. I'm really not looking forward to hand-adjusting hundreds of grades, but thanks to Canvas' inability to provide what users request, that's what I'll be doing. 

KochRose
Community Member

LET PROFESSORS DECIDE IF IT IS OK TO REGRADE QUIZZES PULLED FROM QUIZ BANKS! SCROLLING THROUGH 300 STUDENT QUIZZES TO THE BOTTOM TO SELECT REGRADE IS RIDICULOUS. FIX THIS NOW!!! LOVE THE USE OF QUIZ BANKS, BUT THIS MAKES ANY CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS AFTER QUIZZES ARE TAKEN IN LARGE CLASSES UNTENABLE. IT IS ALL OVER THE INTERNET THIS PROBLEM EXISTS AND MANY COMPLAINTS ON THIS SITE- JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!