New Quizzes: Allow Rich Content editing for fill in the blank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Fill in the blank only allows word answer. If my students needs to enter (2sin(x)cos(x)) or something from calculus it gets confusing. If students as well as teachers are allowed to use Rich Content Editing in simple fill in the blank. I believe it will make it easier for all the chemistry and math teacher because it will enable latex typing.

For Example: This is hard to input:

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

Inputting: (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9)) can be very tricky and can be easily mistaken. Therefor if rich content editing(LaTex system) were to be allowed students can easily type

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

instead of (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9))

81 Comments
nalexandrowicz
Community Explorer

Please add the editing capabilities! It shouldn't be necessary to beg for a feature that is in an old version and so heavily supported and requested! 

bhill2
Community Member

Agreed! It seems like with the transition from Old Quizzes to New Quizzes, Canvas seriously over-promised and is poised to under-deliver. If you tell us that New Quizzes will have the same features as the old version, then you need to do something about issues like this one (and the myriad other functionality problems I've encountered with New Quizzes.) Five years is a long time to wait for such a basic function.

ababij
Community Participant

Yes, please add this feature! Not just to fill-in-the blank, but to ALL New Quizzes question types, including Categorization and Matching. I simply cannot use those questions with most of my chemistry content without the RCE.

jcrea
Community Explorer

Yes please!  As a secondary math teacher, the RCE for ALL question types would be really helpful to be able to actually ask these types of questions to our students.  Right now, we are limited.  I see that this was mentioned back in 2015, but here in 2020, we are still not able to use all of the question types in new quizzes because of the editing limitations of both teachers and students.  In this time of increased virtual instruction, this is especially important.

cjustin
Community Member

This is a necessary feature for New Quizzes to be useful for math and engineering professors at the undergraduate and graduate level. Especially since New Quizzes will become the standard quiz builder in Canvas, it is imperative that instructors have the capability to use mathematical equations as answers. 

This idea or something similar has been suggested many times, and it is useful to enough people that it should be implemented.

dcohen112
Community Member

We really need the RCE for short answer questions in New Quizzes.  When the classic quizzes gets depricated we will no longer have the ability to use the RCE for quiz answers and math teachers will no longer have this powerful tool.  Please fix this ASAP!

gray1314
Community Member

This absolutely NEEDS to happen. I don't understand why it is even a question. We NEED to have RCE in fill in the blank questions! It would make it so much easier to grade multiple problems of the same time without having to do all the work for every problem. You have 5 years worth of requests, on a feature that appears to have been available in previous versions. Personally, I need this as an option, yesterday. 

mdabkowski
Community Member

Please add this feature as soon as possible! I just made the switch to new quizzes only to find I need to switch back because of the unavailability of this feature. Isn't the goal of new quizzes to add more features, rather than remove them? It's definitely smoother to add fill in the blank questions/answers, but if there's no way to display them properly, it sort of doesn't matter. 

alissaarcline
Community Participant

Agreed--this is a very important feature to us at our institution. We won't be able to make the switch to New Quizzes until this feature is implemented.

mprogers
Community Participant

So, I would like to be able to write a question with multiple blanks, on multiple lines, like this:

Question 1: ________

Question 2: _________

Question 3: _________

But all the answers keep getting smooshed up into one when I press enter/return to make a blank.

Is there no way around this? I can't believe that this would be a continuing problem for 5 years. That's 1/3 of my students' lifetimes 🙂