New Quizzes: Allow Rich Content editing for fill in the blank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Fill in the blank only allows word answer. If my students needs to enter (2sin(x)cos(x)) or something from calculus it gets confusing. If students as well as teachers are allowed to use Rich Content Editing in simple fill in the blank. I believe it will make it easier for all the chemistry and math teacher because it will enable latex typing.

For Example: This is hard to input:

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

Inputting: (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9)) can be very tricky and can be easily mistaken. Therefor if rich content editing(LaTex system) were to be allowed students can easily type

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

instead of (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9))

81 Comments
mmtscn
Community Explorer

It appears that the tables in the Fill-in-blank questions in the Classic Quizzes are not preserved after migrating to the New Quizzes.

In the Classic Quizzes:

mmtscn_0-1614822251105.png

In the New Quizzes:

mmtscn_1-1614822297620.png

This is not good~

Is there any way to preserve the Rich Text format?

pleifer
Community Member

I would like this to be a revisited feature. Where would I upvote this idea?

mo_woods
Community Explorer

Absolutely essential! New Quizzes just feels buggy without the option of simple formatting in this context

ellisonl15
Community Participant

In Classic Quizzes I relied on fill-in-the-blank questions with multiple blanks. I like the ability to use different answer types (drop-down, typing, etc.), and to organize the questions like paragraphs (useful for translation type questions) or tables (useful for all those verb forms).

Please add a text editor to the fill-in-the-blank question in New Quizzes that will be as functional as it is in the Classic Quizzes.

townsendb1
Community Member

i am trying to create a "Fill in the blank" question and really need the RICH CONTENT EDITOR to enter in math symbols.  WOULD  be great to access that to not only create the possible answers but for the students to use as well when answering.

townsendb1
Community Member

Yes, being able to access the Rich Content Editor would be an extremely useful feature when creating certain questions(for teachers) and typing in answers(for students).

lwaldman
Community Explorer

Is this even being looked at?  Does anyone know if this is being addressed?  This seems so basic for the STEM fields...making it an easy way for students to show their thoughts and work.  Is the voting open- where does this stand?

toddmath
Community Member

I have used New Quizzes enough to know that there are some advantages to using New Quizzes over Classic quizzes. However, I teach middle school math and am very disappointed that I am unable to do very simple things with New Quizzes. 

Here is a classic math problem that I am able to set up for my students in Classic Quizzes: 

Classic Quizzes.PNG

In New Quizzes the same question looks like: 

New Quizzes.PNG

Having students complete tables in math and science is a very common type of question. Why is this not available to do in New Quizzes? 

We need a rich content editor in fill in the blank questions in New Quizzes also a.s.a.p.

ambkux
Community Member

We need the ability to write math words/symbols in fill in the blank questions....like less than or equal to on a dropdown answer spot.

Shalako
Community Member

It would be helpful for teachers to be able to use the MathQuill feature within the fill in the blank answer options such as this. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Have-Mathquill-in-Fill-in-the-Blank-Questio...