New Quizzes: Allow Rich Content editing for fill in the blank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Fill in the blank only allows word answer. If my students needs to enter (2sin(x)cos(x)) or something from calculus it gets confusing. If students as well as teachers are allowed to use Rich Content Editing in simple fill in the blank. I believe it will make it easier for all the chemistry and math teacher because it will enable latex typing.

For Example: This is hard to input:

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

Inputting: (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9)) can be very tricky and can be easily mistaken. Therefor if rich content editing(LaTex system) were to be allowed students can easily type

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

instead of (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9))

81 Comments
NicoleToussaint
Community Member

Can the New Canvas Quizzes become more Chemistry Friendly? PLEASE!

Chemistry teachers are tired of creating essay questions for typing Chemical Formulas and Chemical Equations. Is there a way to make the Science Fill-In the Blank Questions with Rich Content Editor with New Canvas Quizzes so that Chemistry students can type in Chemical Formulas using subscripts and superscripts?

For Example, if I have a question like "What is the chemical formula for Dihydrogen Monoxide (i.e. water)?" I would like to have my students be able to type the answer in a fill-in-the-blank, not essay question. The answer would be H2O, but the 2 needs to be able to be typed as a subscript. 

Can you all please develop question types this for Chemistry and science teachers to use? Thank you in advance.

ian_konen
Community Explorer

Please include formatted text, AT LEAST in the static text portion of the FIB so that the functionality available in Old Quizzes can be duplicated. Allowing formatted text within drop-down answer choices would be even better, but failing to support backwards compatibility is really a poor way to treat your customer base. 

nalexandrowicz
Community Explorer

Instructors need the ability to format questions that use multiple question blanks. There is no way to create data tables or multiple line questions without text editing capability. You can edit the optional question stem but you can't edit the actual question. Is this something that is being addressed before old quizzes is discontinued?

kdburke
Community Explorer

I agree with everyone else. This feature is critical to successfully using Quizzes.next. While I have done some workarounds, this is extremely limiting for some of my large-scale automatically graded assignments in chemistry.

william_doherty
Community Member

As a chemistry teacher this is so frustrating. How can I be able to put emojis and the likes in this comment field but I can't type a reaction equation? Why can't the mathquill or whatever name is given to the LaTeX renderer be available in ALL answer formats?

Canvas Support seems to have diluted this query down by spreading it out over discussion threads for the many different types of answer fields. Simple solution, instigate it for ALL answer fields.

\(C_2H_6 \neq C2H6\)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21 

MERLAPELLANO-MA
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing the idea. 

ChemCzarina
Community Member

As a chemistry professor, I'd vote to have a RCE in all types of questions.  In certain type of questions (e.g., fill in the blank, matching, categorization)  that don't have a RCE I got around not being able to add subscripts nor superscripts by using using "special subscript and superscript fonts" (e.g., H₂O or Cr₂O₇²⁻).  If it weren't for these "special fonts" I'd be up a creek without a paddle.  Thank goodness for the Character Viewer on my Mac that grants me access to symbols and special subscript and superscript fonts that we need in chemistry (i.e., △ → ⇌ 𝓵 𝞂 𝝺 𝝱 𝝲 𝝳 𝝼, ² ₂ etc.).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New