[New Quizzes] Allow annotated feedback in Speedgrader for essay questions

Completing assessment online is fast becoming the norm in Australia, and our students are expected to complete a range of tests via this method, including extended writing pieces. In order to prepare our students for such experiences, we are using the Essay option in Quizzes for students to submit timed writing pieces, as Spell Check can be switched off, work is saved in case of error, and Speedgrader allows teachers to use the inbuilt rubric to provide feedback. 

However, currently, teachers are unable to provide any annotations onto student submissions if they are submitted through the Quizzes function, unlike a Microsoft Word typed and uploaded piece, which has extensive options for annotation through Speedgrader. 

It seems that annotation in Quizzes is something that is desired for students as well, in this idea: Student Highlight & Annotation Tools for Quizzes

I would like for there to be options for teachers to annotate essay submissions from students through the Quizzes tool via Speedgrader, to facilitate more meaningful feedback and therefore improved engagement with feedback from students.  

Added to Theme

39 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Greetings  @clare_mackie  Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to submit this feature idea! A related idea people may also be interested in is currently open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14902-new-quizzes-feedback-for-essay-questions" modifiedtitle=....

smarkle
Community Novice

I am very disappointed that the "New Quiz" feature does NOT correspond with the "To - do" list function if there is an essay to be graded. It is like a contract for the tech engineers ran out of money and gave us an unfinished product. Not happy

clare_mackie
Community Member
Status changed to: Open

ndeatherage
Community Explorer

This would be fantastic! I have my students submit their work for physics problems through an essay question and there is no way to mark things up and I have to rely on trying to describe things through the comments.

__teacher
Community Member

This would be great!

ErickCarreno
Community Member

it is a useful feature that maybe implemented !!

dwparry
Community Member

I thought we could annotate essays etc.  I think we should be able to annotate everything that comes in through speed grader.

lguzman
Community Novice

I agree with this, and also wish there was an option to add a Rubric into a quiz. When the quiz is an essay, having a rubric attached for grading for both me and the students would be helpful. Then they can see all feedback in the rubric.

ndeatherage
Community Explorer

At least in old quizzes, there is an option to add a rubric to the quiz by clicking on the three dots at the top right next to the edit button. I don't think there is a way to add it to a rubric to individual questions, though, and I am not sure what is available in New Quizzes with regard to a rubric. The students can see the rubric if the go to that assignment in Grades, so you could have different parts of the rubric corresponds to different essay questions.

adieken
Community Explorer

Please add an annotation tool to Quizzes. I have many math, language, and English teachers who have to download files, open in a 3rd party app, and reupload for every quiz.  When you have 200+ this is cumbersome and unnecessary. Please consider.