[New Quizzes] Allow annotated feedback in Speedgrader for essay questions

Completing assessment online is fast becoming the norm in Australia, and our students are expected to complete a range of tests via this method, including extended writing pieces. In order to prepare our students for such experiences, we are using the Essay option in Quizzes for students to submit timed writing pieces, as Spell Check can be switched off, work is saved in case of error, and Speedgrader allows teachers to use the inbuilt rubric to provide feedback. 

However, currently, teachers are unable to provide any annotations onto student submissions if they are submitted through the Quizzes function, unlike a Microsoft Word typed and uploaded piece, which has extensive options for annotation through Speedgrader. 

It seems that annotation in Quizzes is something that is desired for students as well, in this idea: Student Highlight & Annotation Tools for Quizzes

I would like for there to be options for teachers to annotate essay submissions from students through the Quizzes tool via Speedgrader, to facilitate more meaningful feedback and therefore improved engagement with feedback from students.  

Added to Theme

39 Comments
fidalgok
Community Participant

I'd like to show my support for this feature idea as well. It would be incredibly useful if annotating essay questions or file upload question types were available in SpeedGrader for Quizzes. I've been instructing our faculty to create to separate assignments one for the essay question as a file submission assignment and then using a Quiz for the multiple-choice aspect of the test/exam/knowledge check. It would be great to combine them in one place and be able to take advantage of SpeedGrader's annotation tools.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

Please consider adding this to the quiz function - essay questions!! Would be so helpful to provide additional feedback for students!

theresad
Community Novice

Please do implement this idea. It would be very useful!

mcfarlandteresa
Community Member

As a math teacher, I need to be able to write on student's work that has been submitted on a File Upload question type in New Quizzes.  Have you ever tried to write a paragraph to a 6th grader explaining the mistake made in a math problem?  If I can annotate a file that is submitted through an assignment upload, shouldn't I be able to annotate a file that is uploaded as a response to a "file upload" question?  I can't figure out why anyone would use that question type if we can only assign a grade with no corrections unless we download it and use another program to annotate and then upload it again for the students to view. 

This is truly an essential need for math teachers and I would suspect to may other subject areas as well.  

dsena
Community Member

Excellent suggestion. Scoring is only one aspect of the feedback instructors give through quizzes. The "additional comments" box is completely inadequate as a means to give targeted, qualitative feedback on essay type questions. Please give us a set of tools to markup and add location-specific comments on essays submitted through quizzes.

mueller
Community Member

Fully support this idea. An absolute must have, and - being new to grading in Canvas - thought I was overlooking this function somewhere. I.e. cannot believe that it is not present already - please, please add.

jtillerson
Community Member

please allow us to annotate solutions uploaded in quizzes

klong5
Community Member

I was just asked today for the annotation feature to be added to uploaded files in the New Quizzes.  There is a math teacher who has questions for students to upload a PDF to show their work and the only way to provide feedback is by using the comment feature.  The teacher needs to be able to circle or highlight where the student went wrong in their work. I was unable to click on the link that was posted to be able to vote.  Any help would be appreciated!  

Thanks!

JohnSch
Community Member

This suggested functionality definitely gets my vote of support.

DavidCutler
Community Novice

Hi Canvas,

I love your platform! My only gripe is that teachers can't annotate on written responses in "Quizzes." Now, I will have to copy and paste each essay into word and upload as a separate file to a student's account. Can you please change this so that teachers can annotate on text responses?