New Quizzes: Allow item banks to be tied to a course rather than an instructor

I teach 7 different courses on a rotating basis, each with different content and different ideas.  Right now, the questions that I use are tied to each course in the Quizzes question bank.  Additionally, I collaborate on many of the courses such that I am not the only one editing quiz questions.  Thus, having the item banks for these courses tied specifically to me does not make sense.  While other ideas are promoting the idea of granting editing permissions (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12034-allow-admins-to-grant-multiple-users-permissions-for-ite...), this idea is specifically to promote giving the option to tie item banks to specific courses.  One of the other main benefits that I see is to provide additional organization to the hundreds of potential item banks that I will have if item banks are not tied to specific courses.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

27 Comments
jan_derijke
Community Participant

It would already be a solution for me tp be able to add a person to multiple item banks. When a new instructor comes on the course I have to go to each  and every item bank and add her... Why not let me select all item banks and add the instructor?

dglasberg
Community Explorer

This is a MUST! Item banks MUST be tied to courses. Two major issues (aside from the various smaller features New Quizzes is lacking) is the lask of migrating Question Banks to Item Banks and also not being able to house Item Banks in courses. Canvas, this has to be addressed now.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

I am wondering if the issue of item banks being tied to an instructor rather than a course is at fault with aligning outcomes to item bank questions. 

If you add an outcome to a quiz or quiz question, you can pick from all the course outcomes. But in the item bank you can only choose from Root level (institutional level) outcomes. Does the item bank not know which course you are in? I can kind of see that if the item bank belongs to me, then when I use it in another course, the outcomes won't be available from the original course.  That's a drawback for outcomes and another reason to tie item banks to a course and not the user.

urbansk6
Community Contributor

I'm a graduate assistant who's been helping move professors' quizzes online, and my institution desperately needs this. I'm graduating this spring. The dozens of quizzes I've created for all these different professors and departments cannot be tied to my account. Right now no one else can move the quizzes I've created and I can't move the quizzes other people have created. There are people I can share them with, but it would be exponentially easier just to deposit them in a course and assume they're good to go instead of having to make sure each quiz is in the hands of an appropriate individual.

hmcneill
Community Participant

The ability to link item banks to courses rather than individuals would support our team teaching approach. If you are a new teacher on a course, there is no way to identify who created the item bank used in a quiz. It may be another teacher on the current course, however it could just as easily be a teacher from last year who has now left. For the new teacher to gain access to the item bank they will need to ask around until they find a colleague with access (or will need to ask admin to 'act as user' on multiple teacher accounts until they can find out who owns it and 'share' with the new teacher). 

We will look at naming conventions for item banks and best practice guidance to ensure teachers share with their course team, but it would be better if item banks were linked to the course somehow. If this isn't possible due to their individual design, then a report for a course, or for sub-account admin, showing item banks with owners would be helpful?

(Edit: Also see this feature request to allow admin management of item banks which relates to my last point)

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Lending my support to tying item banks to a course. Instructors, Instructional Designers and Course Designers come and go more often than courses at our institution. We also rely on 'sessional' teaching staff as well and as the name may suggest, they are not often around for long periods of time. Tying banks to courses makes sense for how we work. This is one of the many reasons we have not released New Quizzes to our faculty. 

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is also important for when courses are developed as part of our 9-12 curriculum as a department and faculty rotate among who will be teaching a particular course, with new faculty coming and some faculty going.  The question banks need to always remain with the course(s).  However, the faculty member should also have the option to create a question bank tied to their account as well.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Item banks can be shared with the entire account as well as one or more courses. Additionally, item banks can be shared as view only. This change allows item bank editors to increase collaboration and disseminate quiz content in an account or across multiple courses in either a view-only or edit permission state.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

I've bene trying to get the new BETA feature of sharing to work on our BETA site and I don't get he option for sharing . I can see my item banks but when i click on share I don't see options for view / edit.
anyone else having problems with this new feature