[New Quizzes] Allow multiple attempts on a quiz, with diminishing points after the first attempt

I am an instructional designer supporting and instructor who is using team based learning. In his course he has students take a quiz individually, then the same quiz as a team. The second team based quiz allows multiple attempts but penalizes the students for each subsequent attempt. The purpose of this is to encourage students to discuss what the correct answer should be before submitting.

This is similar to what is described here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Is-it-possible-to-allow-multiple-attempts-on-a-qui...

Currently in the Canvas Quiz it is possible to keep the highest, or average of scores. It would be helpful to be able to implement this strategy.

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

18 Comments
NicholeRupnow
Community Novice

@rexj For TBL... we have used IF-AT scratch off cards (for in-person) and we tried a pilot semester of InteDashboard technology (for online TBL).  Both allow for partial points to be awards for second choices.  Otherwise, if we use Canvas quizzes- we do not give credit for the "second" choice. 

rexj
Community Participant

Thank you, @NicholeRupnow . I will look into those tools. I so wish Canvas would support this.

AndrewSage
Community Novice

I would very much like to see this capability added to Canvas. I use TBL regularly in my classes, and the multiple attempt quizzes described here lead to some great discussions between students. My institution is switching from Canvas to Moodle, and while I am happy about the move overall, I will be very disappointed to lose this feature. If Canvas would consider adding this feature, I would greatly appreciate it. 

yang2193
Community Explorer

Moodle seems to allow multiple attempts on a single question and diminishing points after each attempt. Canvas does not have this feature. 

JaredVanHooser
Community Member

@yang2193 - I concur. 

ebhirsch
Community Novice

I would really like to see this feature added to Canvas. I use TBL regularly in my classes, and the multiple attempt quizzes described here would be very helpful so that we didn't have to pay for a subscription to InteDashboard, and so that we could better facilitate remote TBLs without needing the scratchoff cards that we use for in-person learning.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme