New Quizzes: Allow students to mark attempt as final attempt

(2)

I allow students to take quizzes multiple times. I want them to see what they got wrong, and which was the correct answer, and my feedback, but only after they're satisfied with their grade or they've taken the quiz the maximum allowable times, whichever comes first. Right now, there's an option for letting them see all the feedback only after their final attempt. This "after final attempt" setting would be fine IF they were allowed to choose an attempt as a final attempt before they've exhausted allowable attempts. For example, say I give students four attempts to take a quiz, and a student takes the quiz just once and scores a 90, and they're happy with that score. They should be able to mark that attempt as their final attempt (which would prevent them from taking the quiz again, but enable them to see their results, which they got wrong, feedback, etc.). Right now, they can stop taking the quiz and keep that score, but then how can they see results, if Canvas thinks they still have three more attempts? I do realize that I could just set a date after which everyone could see the results (after the due date of the quiz would be obvious), but I don't like that for a couple of reasons. First, I want them to get feedback as soon as they're finished taking the quiz for the last time, while it's still fresh in their minds. Second, I allow students to take any quiz late, with a 10-point per day penalty. To continue this policy, I'd have to set the date at which students could view results to 10 days after the due date, and again, I want them to have feedback while the quiz is fresh in their minds.

2 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

This is a very simple solution to the problem of releasing feedback after a final attempt.  I would only add that the option to mark as a final attempt should have a warning that students will not be able to retake the quiz after selecting their final attempt.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.