[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
mrboros
Community Novice

I am opposed to carrying forward correct answers

We are being  generous in the first place in allowing "do overs'

Students should be intellectually challenged with everything they do - if an assignment/assessment is so easy that everyone gets an A then it isn't a good task to assign. The great feeling that comes from getting an A is associated with a sense of accomplishment - not the feeling that comes with a 'no brainer'

If they knew the answer the first time they will know it the second time & if they start second guessing themselves then they really didn't know it the first time round - as in the case of multiple choice tests/quizzes

Also if you are using a test pool that randomly pulls the questions and randomizes the answers this may be technically challenging to implement

mrboros
Community Novice

I am opposed to carrying forward correct answers

We are being  generous in the first place in allowing "do overs'

Students should be intellectually challenged with everything they do - if an assignment/assessment is so easy that everyone gets an A then it isn't a good task to assign. The great feeling that comes from getting an A is associated with a sense of accomplishment - not the feeling that comes with a 'no brainer'

If they knew the answer the first time they will know it the second time & if they start second guessing themselves then they really didn't know it the first time round - as in the case of multiple choice tests/quizzes

Also if you are using a test pool that randomly pulls the questions and randomizes the answers this may be technically challenging to implement

john_williamson
Community Contributor

@Monica Rothschild-Boros

First I envisioned this change as a option that can  be checked when creating assignments, not a blanket change across the board.

In my classroom the student's are assessed through three measures.

Assignments/Homework (50%)

Quizzes (30%)

Exams (20%)

Student's in my math class students are permitted to redo assignments once.  This allows my students to receive up to half of the points that were missed on their first attempt.  I allow this because my assignments are meant for students to learn and practice the subject matter much like homework.  Then I assess their knowledge through Quizzes and Exams.   

Also as the instructor you have the ability to control when and if the student's see the correct answers on the activities. 

mrboros
Community Novice

Hi John

I didn't realize that you wanted this as an 'option' rather than a

'locked in' standard that was the immediate 'default' setting.

If this is an option for faculty to select then I have no issues with it

- I just didn't want this to be what happens to all of us

I teach Cultural Anthropology

I have 4 categories for assessing work

2 papers 20%

weekly lecture questions 32%

weekly chapter tests 38% (they can take it twice and the

average score is recorded)

11 discussion boards 10%

Each type of Assessment is focused on a different type of learning

process: recalling specific facts, applying concepts to their own lives

or experiences, using critical thinking skills and expressing opinions &

interacting with others.

The tests come from pools that randomly select questions - the tests are

worth 25 points but there are 30 questions so 5 points of extra credit

is built into each test. If a student is on the cusp of a higher grade

- I go into the tests to see if they have taken them more than once and

will delete the lower score so that the student does have the benefit of

the higher score. For some this does push them over, for others - if

they haven't done their other work - this doesn't work in their favor.

Monica

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Thank you  @mrboros ​

Well stated!

klm

keatingk
Community Novice

If this idea passes, please make it an option and do make it automatic.  When I allow students to re-take a quiz, I want them to re-take the entire quiz, not just the questions they missed. 

Thanks,

Karen Keating

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for this suggestion. We may consider this for a future implementation beyond the initial roadmap for the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine. There is a lot of work ahead, so this feature is more than six months away from any consideration or design. I'll add this to the idea backlog for further thinking.

Kind regards,

Jason

rachel-gatewood
Community Novice

Maybe obvious but as long as this "automatic" option is a teacher selection when creating the quiz / assignment - then great idea!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

cunninghama
Community Participant

I currently use the quiz feature for students to submit homework assignments.  Homework should be for practice and they shouldn't get docked for incorrect answers at this point in their knowledge acquisition so I allow them infinite attempts with the intent that they revisit their incorrect problems and fix them.  It becomes a time issue when students must re-enter the questions they did correctly, especially for the class I teach which is an Advanced Geometry class and requires them to do multi-step problems, submit pictures of their drawings, etc.  If this is a feature they add and you are opposed then you don't have to use it but please don't prevent those of us that could benefit from it from using it.