[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
jo2
Community Novice

Yep! Couldn't agree more. We have lost students because of this which equals $$$. We were told this feature won't be built until next year which is a tad frustrating. 

sarah_vidmar
Community Explorer

So frustrating Jo for students, and equally frustrating for trainers needing to go through it with almost every student. Despite the help references we have built into this topic on our site, most need to be talked through it the first time. Terribly time consuming! It is completely illogical and a strain on resources.

brigwald
Community Participant

Actually the ideal solution is to have students be able to check each answer as they go, so they can fix their answers before submitting and adding those attempts to the gradebook.  (This is how Moodle let us do it.)  It also allowed the student to learn immediately from their mistakes, instead of waiting for the end.  (Of course, for tests, we turned this feature off.)  There is another request for that feature here:  New Quizzes: Immediate feedback in quizzes 

degoedek
Community Novice

See options in WileyPLUS for Algorithmic Questions:

348687_pastedImage_1.png

pagibson
Community Participant

I give a syllabus quiz. Getting an answer wrong, such as, "when is the assignment due?" will prove detrimental to the student's subsequent grade. Therefore, I would like the students to be able to re-enter the quiz, after seeing feedback that indicates their current answer is wrong, so they may change it. They earn a few more points and I'm assured they have absorbed important information correctly. Currently, they have to take the entire quiz over and there is no need to re-enter correct answers. I'd like students to be able t re-enter the quiz and correct for their errors. 

ilafonta
Community Member

A pain point I've frequently run into is re-filling out all my answers on a second (final) attempt of a test. 

This isn't a huge deal to some, but I think the best course is to remove any possibility of user error: If a student answers correctly, they should be able to retain those selections from the previous attempt; and only have the option to make new selection(s) for the incorrect one(s).

I ask this because I answered 9/10 correctly on a test. There was one tricky question I was skeptical of. Sure enough, when I saw that's the one I got wrong, I got to work on re-filling everything out and knew the correct answer for that erroneous choice.
But one of the other questions had several-sentence multiple choice, two of those choices had very similar wording. Despite checking all of my answers, I still missed that other question with the similar wording. (I got my original wrong question correct the second time though.) So I still got 9/10. 

Just something nice to consider!

cnivens15
Community Member

I teach math and I often use quizzes for "homework" with unlimited tries. I would really love a quick retake option that allows kids to just redo the ones they missed versus having to retype all answers every time. 

wardex
Community Explorer

Yes, I had a student who wanted to fix one answer in their quiz (which is really just a homework) but they either had to resubmit the entire thing or I had to grade that attempt separately. 

slagelj
Community Member

YES!!!! This would be such a great feature in Canvas. Students should not have to retake an entire exam when they really only need to focus on a few problems. As many schools have moved and will be moving to standards-based grading this feature would be extremely helpful both for teachers and students. I see this conversation has been going on for quite a while. Any idea when this might become a reality?

james_nft
Community Member

This feature would make a lot of what we're doing with students significantly easier.