[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
MCork
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful as we continue to use Canvas as a universal platform for colleges, high schools and soon the lower levels. 

beavey
Community Explorer

I would LOVE to see this feature as a MS math teacher. I love the idea of multiple attempts so we can continue to get better, but students should only have to focus on the problems they solved incorrectly. It's efficient and, honestly, a bit more motivating for students, especially the students that struggle with math. 

beavey
Community Explorer

@d_stark I've taught my kiddos how to do this, but it's a waste of time that they could be using to work on the problems they previously solved incorrectly

d_stark
Community Participant

@beavey I'm aware it's an imperfect solution. I work in vocational training where we only grade for Competent/Not Competent (100%/<100%) and learners are granted additional attempts to achieve this in concert with tuition and pastoral care.

The release submission back is near useless for us as the feedback and scoring that our graders enter is removed from the assessment so learners have nothing to go on, so we release them a new blank attempt which is nearly, but not quite, as useless.

candaceg
Community Explorer

I would love this feature!!! 

cindy_rabone1
Community Member

Please please add this to the roadmap soon. It is super frustrating and time consuming having to make comments just to advise the students which ones they need to retry. Thanks

Steve_Reynolds
Community Member

This is the most asked for feature by our students, and after 5 years we are still waiting why?

ChrisOxley
Community Novice

Quizzes with multiple attempts should have a setting where the past correct attempts and free-response answers are saved instead of restarting the entire quiz.  

kdburke
Community Explorer

This would be amazing. I use Canvas quizzes for teaching laboratory material in a prelab assignment. Often the students will be able to get through the easier material, but will struggle with the math practice. It would be really nice if they could retake it to focus on the math instead of the entire assignment.

cindyk
Community Participant

Another reason to allow this comes directly from Canvas' decision to not fully support partial points for matching, categorizing, etc. questions.  Students often need to retake a quiz just to change 2 parts to one of these questions.  It is tedious to enter all the other answers over and over.  Please fix one or the other.