[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
rislis
Community Champion

I get it. Bummed that we don't have a better solution!

katrina_nagle
Community Member

It’s okay. So glad someone is trying to help!

shimon_anisfeld
Community Novice

Is there a way to re-open the voting on this?  I think the original proposal would be really helpful.  My students are very frustrated with having to re-enter all their problem set answers when they only got 1 question wrong.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@shimon_anisfeld ‌, this idea is already open for voting.

299194_open for voting.png

If you are not able to vote on it, and haven't voted on it previously, make sure you are logged in to the Canvas Community to cast your vote.

andrew_abercrom
Community Novice

Great idea. Please make this happen.

erinpac1
Community Novice

This would be especially useful in surveys, where students are just trying to update their enterred information (at least in version #1 where the answers just persist).

sarah_vidmar
Community Explorer

We also need to be able to lock in correct quiz responses and open a new attempt with only the incorrect response fields being editable. It would be ideal for us if ALL responses from the previous attempt are visible (pre-populated), but ONLY those requiring a correction are editable. Additionally, the assessor feedback needs to be visible on the retake quiz screen. We believe this would avoid the need for a user to flick back and forward between pages and tabs.

As a background, we are an Australian Registered Training Organisation, using Canvas quizzes (essay responses) to assess knowledge evidence. Users are generally allowed three attempts at assessment. When a user needs to resubmit just a few of the questions, a full blank quiz re-opens with no view of assessor feedback, nor the user's previous responses. It would not be unusual for one of our assessment quizzes to contain 20 essay questions. In competency-based training the user needs to demonstrate that they can meet ALL assessment criteria which generally means they need to answer all 20 questions correctly for competency. Currently, when a user needs to just fix up a few questions, they must open a brand new quiz with 20 blank questions and no reference to which ones need to be fixed or the associated feedback. Additionally, the user currently receives a message confirming that they are only submitting 3 of 20 responses, which is causing confusion.

nader_rizq
Community Novice

Agree wholeheartedly with this idea. I use multiple attempts for quiz and test reviews to encourage the kids to keep trying till the fully understand the material. Having to retype all the correct answers is a waste of time and energy and they are less likely to redo the problems they missed. 

jnelson5
Community Novice

For years, the countless requests for this common-sense addition to the

program have fallen on deaf ears. Students suffer; nothing changes. It's

very discouraging.

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 7:20 PM nader.rizq@browardschools.com <

nader_rizq
Community Novice

I wonder how many votes it takes to get a feature implemented.

Perhaps if we asked as many teachers as possible in our districts to vote, it would make a difference.