[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
LAURAGBROWN9
Community Novice

That way, students only have to fix the ones they missed. Students currently do not like to correct quizzes because they do not want to re-enter all of their answers.

cbb22
Community Member

I sometimes want students to do a redo of only specific parts/questions on a test to help them learn the content or practice a skill. Currently, a redo attempt creates a new attempt for the entire test. Is there any way I could reassign a test to a student and indicate which questions to do (i.e. lock the ones I don't want them to redo, and unlock the ones I do)?

Thanks!

alallen
Community Participant

I work in elementary and several of our teachers are using modules that require 100% correct assignments (created in quizzes) for them to move forward. If they make one or two mistakes, Canvas requires them to redo the entire assignment, rather than just correct their submission and resubmit. This is difficult for elementary students, and so we have had to come up with other ways around it that are quite cumbersome.

It would be great if BOTH assignments and quizzes could offer an "edit (or revise) and resubmit" option for students, so that they don't have to redo the entire assignment. It would save everyone tons of time.

jcramer4
Community Member

It is extremely frustrating and time consuming to retake multiple quiz questions that were already correct.  Please make it possible for me to allow my students to retake only the missed questions on a quiz.

This would be great in Mastery Connect as well as in Canvas.

cindy_rabone1
Community Member

hi @alallen & jcramer4

Not sure if you’ve looked at this but we moderate the quiz and use the “reopen” option instead of “reattempt” function. We ensure we advise learner in the assignment comments section which questions they may have gotten wrong so they know which ones to redo (as it’s not obvious). The redo option brings back their answers from first attempt preventing them to have to redo the whole quiz/ assignment. It’s not an ideal work around but may be something that will help your team until such time Canvas changes this. 

hope it helps 😊

DeniseBrown
Community Novice

When giving a second attempt on a quiz, I would there to be a setting that will allow me to assign a second attempt that only shows the questions the students previously got wrong.  Some of my tests/quizzes are long, and it’s disheartening to students when they have to start completely over.

TaliNeta
Community Novice

When students start working on a quiz, if the instructor wants to extend the "until date" and "due date" for the entire class, the students should still see their answers that they have started, and there wouldn't be a need to give the students another attempt. Once students get a new attempt, they lose their previous answers and they have to re-start their quiz. If you could change it so that students can continue from the same point they stopped without having to re-do their quizz again, that would be very helpful! Thank you!

ziebarthm
Community Member

I agree that a quiz correction option would be a great idea. Having a feature that allowed a reattempt of only written responses and those objective questions that student got wrong would be a fantastic feature. It would be especially helpful if students had a comment box for the correction reattempt so that they could explain why the correct answer is correct and why they think they got the answer wrong the first time. A feature like that allows for metacognition and learning. 

JillianBlakley
Community Member

Hello. Please include the option for students to go back and re-attempt only the questions that were marked incorrect, instead of having to re-attempt the entire quiz. I offer my students a retake option, and it would save considerable time if they only had to correct the questions they missed, instead of having to retake the entire assessment. 

ekennedy
Community Explorer

Agreed! Would be great for retesting and corrections!