[New Quizzes] Categorization Questions with Empty Categories

0 Likes
Problem statement:

I have used categorization questions in New Quizzes all semester with empty categories sometimes. About a week ago, the auto-grader refused to deal with this any longer. Now, students are told to contact me because auto-grader had a problem. Canvas gives no notification for it, so I'd have to know which quizzes had these questions, then sift through quizzes that use this type of question, go to the Moderation tab, and go through each submission one by one. And for students who attempted it multiple times in the hopes Canvas would fix itself, I have to go through every attempt in order to get them off the list. Also, I am unable to change or delete these questions, and cannot copy the quizzes to create copies that don't have this now-offensive type of question that apparently. This is very frustrating.

Proposed solution:

Either allow categorization type questions to have empty categories, or allow deleting those quesitons so the rest of the quiz can be salvaged. Giving a notification about the quiz needing manual grading would be good too. But I've already said that elsewhere.

User role(s):

instructor

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ellisonl15
Community Participant

This is causing a real problem and it should not be considered an "idea" but something Canvas needs to fix. These question types are already out there, the quizzes using them are basically broken (no ability to copy or edit them so they are no longer offensive to the auto-grader), and there's no way to see what quizzes have been taken that need to be manually graded. 

@KristinL Can you please help me get this issue to a bug support team?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @ellisonl15 - The best way to contact support is through the ticketing system inside Canvas. That ticket will reach the L1 Queue where they'll take a closer look. How do I contact Canvas Support? 

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Ah right, thanks. I always just right click the help button in Canvas to open help in a new tab and it brings me here. I forget that it opens a little box with options otherwise. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived