New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
mwolfenstein
Community Participant

I actually didn't realize this feature wasn't there until I was talking with one of my faculty members today who is using New Quizzes. I'm guessing this is an issue due to New Quizzes build as an LTI, but it's frankly insane that this doesn't exist given that due to the general design of Canvas faculty rely deeply on the To Do list in their grading workflow. This definitely needs to be added to/prioritized for New Quizzes.

germank
Community Explorer

Agreed! This should be fixed!

mbovey
Community Member

I am a teacher for a high school in Washington State.

In Classic Quizzes, any assignment needing questions manually graded show up on the To Do List. In the Grades section of Canvas, this is also indicated by the paper/pencil symbol. 

When New Quizzes is used, assignments needing questions manually graded do not show up on the To Do List. When looking at Grades, a score is also inserted for automatically graded questions. As a result, there is no visual cue indicating a quiz is ready to be scored.

Can you make New Quizzes show up on the To Do List similar to how Classic Quizzes show up on the To Do List?

MistyM
Community Member

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease fix this.  I'm going bonkers having to go into each quiz everytime a student lets me know they've completed it.

eacheson
Community Member

Yes. This is a big problem and I would love it fixed. Getting notification about new quizzes is important. They are hard to dig around and find to grade too. It would be great if they showed up in dashboard. 

zabeljonathon
Community Member

There are certain features that are only available in the "New Quizzes" feature. From my understanding as well, wasn't the long term goal to replace the old quizzes tool with this new one? I believe this honestly is an essential feature. I have been trying to work around this for nearly two years by using the gradebook view and look for quizzes that are submitted "late" to identify which ones I need to grade, but then I have to clear the late flag if I want to be able to use this as a quick indicator of what needs to be graded in the future...

kate_bodey
Community Novice

New Quizzes is so awesome EXCEPT I DON'T WANT TO USE IT ANYMORE because of one simple thing. 

Canvas HAS TO change it so it APPEARS IN THE TEACHER TO DO LIST!!!

I'm done using it until this is fixed. It causes me as a teacher WAY TO MUCH WORK to try to go in everyday and see who completed it.

It is such a bummer because New Quizzes is such an incredible tool.  Plus we can mimic how students see tests with stimulus and questions like they do on RISE/SAGE.

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!

GingerBeardMath
Community Member

Please fix this. It is critical that teachers can do the basics of their job of grading assignments. 

mmaya
Community Explorer

Has this been fixed? Learning that Classic Quizzes are going away next year, I have built all my curriculum in New Quizzes and shared my resources with my faculty on Commons. After reading all of these comments, I am so surprised that I am also struggling grading my students. They, too, will have issues grading. 

laura_clark
Community Explorer

Please place on To Do List and flag the item in grade book so that a teacher can identify that the grade there is not final because it does not include the manually graded items.