New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
jangel1
Community Member

Faculty at my college are wondering why this was an automatic feature just like Classic Quizzes.  Please fix!

jangel1
Community Member

This should have been automatic just like Classic Quizzes

kurquidez
Community Member

Yes, please! My teachers are begging for notifications for New Quizzes that need to be manually graded!

jedson
Community Novice

Please make this auto-populate when students submit work on dashboard otherwise it is a worthless tool.  Teachers don't have to time to go through and click on every assignment every day to see when is newly submitted. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

This issue is one of the many that we documented when we tested New Quizzes back in October 2020. I am surprised it has not yet made the cut in the priority list. 2019 'idea', 97 stars and 104 comments - certainly sounds like it is a popular 'idea'.

hesspe
Community Champion

I have a feeling that this is a limitation imposed by the LTI implementation of New Quizzes.  That would be because the LTI doesn't have a channel to talk to the homepage in LTI1.3.  In the interest of transparency Instructure should be clear about features that will not be part of New Quizzes due to limits of the LTI integration that can't be got around.  To the best of my knowledge they have never done that.

briddell
Community Participant

Regarding limits to LTI Integration:

When a professor views a quiz with an ungraded question, there is a banner telling them to grade questions 5 and 7.

If the information that questions 5 and 7 are ungraded can be passed from New Quizzes to SpeedGrader, one would think there must be a way to get this information also to the To Do list....  even if it requires a button to click on to fetch this information.

Imagine you have a two quizzes a week for 15 weeks with some force-graded and some short answer questions. And you have 105 students across your three sections.  At the end of the semester do you have to check 3150 quizzes one at a time to ensure that no student is missing the points to which they are entitled?

You HAVE to provide a workaround of some kind for this deficit. We are currently advising our professors to keep paper lists for each course with a column for each quiz so they can keep track of when they have finished the grading for that quiz for that student.

It's impossible to recommend migration to New Quizzes if it means more work for the professors when grading essays and short-answer type questions. Please provide us with an updated timeline of when this issue will be addressed/fixed. Or, is there a way to track ungraded essay questions in New Quizzes that we just don't know about?

breklis
Community Participant

@briddell, so well put.  Thank you!

pjarosz
Community Participant

@briddell Excellent!!!  We couldn't agree more in our district!

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Really concerned to see that in New Quizzes that there is still no notification about questions that need to be manually graded. In a quiz that has mostly auto-graded things, but then an essay question, there is still no notification in the "to do" for grading, and the gradebook doesn't show the symbol for work to be graded -- it shows only the auto-graded score. This is one of several reasons why I stopped using New Quizzes last year after a brave student finally asked me about grading their missing questions. Please fix this! It's unacceptable as is, and I'm so glad I checked to see if it was repaired before I made too many quizzes in preparation for the semester. 

Navigating as a student through the feedback page to get back to the module was also not great, having to scroll to the top to "Return" and then to the bottom to "Next." New Quizzes still has a long way to go.