New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
KaraAnand-Gall
Community Member

Please add this feature to New Quizzes. The new quizzes automatically show up as graded even when there are ungraded essay questions, and so they won't show up on the instructor's "to-do" grade list after students take them. So, the instructor then has to go check the quiz and open the speed-grader to "update" the grades by grading any ungraded questions, even though Canvas thinks it is fully graded.

sprayc
Community Member

This would be INCREDIBLY helpful!

MatthewNunes
Community Member

I used the new quizzes for the first time this week, and didn't realize there was a problem until I noticed that it was not showing up on my grading "to-do" list. Luckily I realized the problem and was able to go into the gradebook, to speedgrader, and then graded the essay questions that were part of the quiz. If I hadn't noticed that, Canvas would have given all of my students 60% or lower!

This problem needs to be fixed ASAP! I don't know why this hasn't been addressed yet!!!!!!

TiffanyWood
Community Explorer

When using Canvas Classic Quizzes, when a student submits a quiz, it shows up on the To-Do list and a symbol shows up in the grade book alerting the teacher that they have a new quiz to grade and allowing them to click and go straight to that specific quiz to grade it. The New Quizzes does not allow that, so when a student submits a quiz, the multiple choice is graded automatically, then that grade shows up automatically in the grade book, but the essay portion still needs to be graded. However, there is no alert, notification, or option on the To-Do List to notify the teacher that they have a quiz that needs their attention. Instead the teacher has to click through every individual quiz in the Speed Grader to see if it needs to be graded or not. Can we add the feature from the Canvas Classic Quizzes that alerts the teacher on the To-Do List and in the Grade Book? 

DeneceMorriss
Community Member

Ungraded submitted assignments have the gradebook icon to inform the teacher that I an items needs to be graded.  This is wonderful for a quick survey of who has submitted an and assignment.  More importantly it is wonderful for knowing when a student resubmits an assignment.

This is not the case for quizzes.  Quizzes are automatically scored and entered into the gradebook.  That means there is not a quick reference or reminder that a quiz needs to be graded, nor is there a reminder to grade a quiz that has been retaken.

Any chance of adding the "needs to graded" icon could to the quiz grade columns until the teacher has graded the quiz?

Thanks for taking to time to consider our input.

Reni Morriss
Trinity High School
Euless, TX

BENJAMINFORBES
Community Member

This is super helpful in regular OLD quizzes, and important to ensure student scores reflect accurate results

kstubbs1
Community Explorer

Please push out this feature as soon as possible. This is the kind of functionality that is a must-have!

eokes
Community Novice

This is a real problem for any quiz that has a short answer, essay, or dropbox question.  The computer-generated scores are automatically applied to the grade book with no notifications to remind us that a portion of the test needs to be graded.

That means if a quiz is ONLY an essay question, a zero will be applied to the grade book.

Additionally, if you have a student who took the test late or at a different time, it may automatically apply late points that they aren't supposed to have.  However, the teacher will not be reminded to take the late points off.

If students take a test more than once, the teacher will not be reminded to grade the short answer on the new version.

This is a burden on the teacher (and a stressor on the students) that could be easily fixed since the feature was a default for Classic Quizzes.  Yet, as I understand it, our Classic Quizzes will be migrated to New Quizzes automatically by summer 2022.  Customer support told me they did not plan to offer this feature unless it gathered enough attention and votes in the forums.  They did not explain why the feature would not be available anymore.

(This link is basically the same problem and has gotten more votes so far.  I recommend you vote for both of these topics.
jengithens
Community Novice

This is desperately needed.

amber_hainline
Community Participant

As the instructional support for teachers in our district, it is unbelievable that tracking new student submissions in New Quizzes is not an option. In an age where teachers are getting more and more on their plates, this should be a no brainer. FIX THIS for the love of all teachers.