New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
resartoris
Community Participant

@mklein Thank you - I saw that. I should have clarified my question. I was hoping for an update with a timeline of development when our teachers will see this, including when a student completes a quiz late, if it will show up on the to-do list. Do you know the timeline for that? Thank you so much!

mklein
Community Explorer

@resartoris I don't. That's a great question though! Fingers crossed for next school year or sooner.

resartoris
Community Participant

Yes! Fingers crossed!

MarkO7
Community Explorer

I don't want to get hopes up too high, but I think this may already be working. I have an assessment with an essay question that I give at the end of the year. I made it in New Quizzes before I was aware of this issue, and I was too lazy to recreate it. As students have started to retake it over the last few days, it has shown up in my To Do list!! It has been wonderful!

mbovey
Community Member

If you put an "essay" question in your New Quiz, the assignment shows up on the To-do list. It has been showing up for me for the last week.

cressler
Community Member

I am a heavy user of New Quizzes.   Right now, the feature sometimes shows up.  I am finding it to be 75% reliable, but when I scan my grade book, I see some assignments with low grades.   When I go through the score inspector, there are ungraded open-ended items but the submission is marked as graded.    There's hope for this feature, but don't completely rely on it to be accuate.  

lshulman
Community Participant

@cressler 

That seems odd that it works sometimes but not others. Can you determine any difference between the ones it works for vs. the ones it does not work for? Is it the SAME quiz that works for some student but not for others? or is it DIFFERENT quizzes that work or don't work? Perhaps the TYPE of question used in one quiz is causing an issue and that type of open ended question is not used in the quizzes where the function does work?

cressler
Community Member

@lshulman 

It's the same quiz (same questions/format)  that works for some students but not others.   It seems on May 13 and again on May 19, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.   I was seeing both the old way New Quizzes showed up (as already graded) and and some on the To Do list.   I am wondering if it has to do with Canvas working on the development of this feature and whether or not it is "off" at times when Canvas is making adjustments and later turned back on.   Any New Quiz submitted on May 20 appeared on my To Do list.   
I am just careful right now to double-check.   I work around this but setting up submission to appear in the speed grade in the order they are submitted.    I just jot down the last student submission which I reviewed and work my way down the submission list after that name.   

tdevries
Community Novice

I had one new quiz without a notification and one new quiz with a notification. The one with the notification had an essay question, and the one without an essay question did not have a notification.

lshulman
Community Participant

@tdevries

that makes sense. Works the same way as old quizzes: a quiz that does not need ANY manual grading never shows up on our "to do" list (since it is automatically graded, we don't have "to do" anything with it). Unlike the quiz with an essay question that we DO have to manually grade.