New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As with the original quizzes on canvas, when a student submits a New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next) assessment and there are items that need to be reviewed it should show up on our teacher dashboard in our To Do list so we know to submissions have been made so we can more easily access them in speedgrader to grade.

253 Comments
kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Agree with the comments above. Instructors should not have to rely on students advising them they have submitted. We have not yet enabled New Quizzes at our institution. This is one of the major reasons we have been holding it back, despite requests from our excited academics who want to adopt the new tool.

michael_hartman
Community Participant

Agree!!! This is a no brainer. I don't know why they took so many common sense features away from New Quizzes.

sbird123
Community Member

I would like to receive a notification in my To Do List that shows I have student submissions to grade for a New Quizzes Essay type question. 

kts7562
Community Novice

Definitely needs to be fixed.

meceyjulie
Community Novice

​I agree with other comments.  Please fix this.  In the past (with old quizzes, we would see when a student turned in after the others).  Now, there is no notification.  I try to only use new quizzes for tests, that are more heavily weighted so I can catch it in my grade book.  If I used this for regular math assignments, it's just way too time-consuming.

Thanks for considering!!!1
CraigOgden
Community Participant

This is EVER so important.

I have to be told be a student that they turned in an assignment late before I know it was turned in.  I have gone all quarter without know a student turned in most of his assignments.

ytang
Community Explorer

This is probably the only issue I have with New Quizzes. Hope this could be fixed soon. 

cwambold
Community Member

PLEASE fix this issue! Clearly, many teachers have asked for it for a while, and now that many of us are 100% remote, it is a vital need!

rwentzel
Community Member

Please! This would be incredibly helpful to get the notifications, especially when students are submitting work after everyone else. 

It seems like the results through New Quizzes are automatically treated by the system as "graded," even when there are questions requiring the me as the teacher to grade. Even when I choose to hide the results, students still see a grade based on what what automatically corrected. It would be much easier if it always showed up as ungraded/on my to-do list until I the teacher mark it as graded.

mbovey
Community Member

Here are my findings-

You have to set a New Quiz from 'Points' to 'Complete/Incomplete.' With this setting, the new quiz shows up on the To Do list if you have essay questions to grade. 

There are MAJOR shortfalls to the work around, which take too long to describe in this tab, and frankly, I still don't understand why Canvas hasn't solved this issue we are pressing about since it has been an issue for some time.

Hope it helps.