[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
droddick
Community Novice

This would be very helpful.

crheemstra
Community Novice

How long does it take for Canvas to implement something "in development"? The link to the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine was created in September 2015, nearly a year ago. It seems to me that allowing an instructor to delete a quiz attempt for a student would be a basic feature of any "quizzing engine".

garth
Community Champion

I agree 100%, if a student has made any attempt to answer the questions, I don't think the attempt can be thrown away without further clarification.

dchiabotti
Community Novice

I am astounded that this feature is not available. I have used 3 other online platforms, and the more I use canvas the more I am discouraged that some simple and necessary components.  The capacity to delete an attempt is essential.  Most things I do not like about Canvas only are inconvenient or annoying to me. But this one, negatively impacts my student, and that is just not okay.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

This needs to happen and I would suggest that there is a way to delete the whole classes attempt(s)

jjm65
Community Novice

I have to be honest, I am not sure how after a year this has not made it into any changes. This is something that is highly needed. I have students that have taken the course, been timed out and were kicked out of the exam. I would rather just give them a penalty than receive a very low grade because they went over the time limit. Please continue to do what needs to be done to make this a part of the quiz and test options.

hartwigr
Community Novice

Still needed.  Like others have stated, I can't believe it is not an option already.  Examview Manager has allowed this option for many years.

stevensons
Community Contributor

I agree with what others have said here--it seems like such a basic feature and I'm surprised it isn't available yet.

audrey_crawford
Community Participant

Ditto to all the above. In my job supporting faculty at our college, how-to-delete-a-student's-quiz-attempt is a frequently asked question.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space