cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Display warning message if backtracking is disabled and student submits blank answer

New Quizzes: Display warning message if backtracking is disabled and student submits blank answer

0 Kudos
(11)

BACKGROUND: In Classic Quizzes, if backtracking is disabled, students will receive a warning if they try to submit a blank answer to a question. 

PROBLEM: In New Quizzes, when backtracking is disabled, students do not receive any warning when they try to submit a blank answer. This has resulted in many of my students accidentally submitting blank answers and subsequently missing points. This has often occurred in situations when Lockdown Browser is lagging.

SOLUTION: Display a warning message if student tries to submit a blank answer on "New Quizzes" exams in which backtracking is disabled and then require that the student actively confirms they want to submit a blank answer.

Could we get this functionality added so students are warned before submitting a blank answer? Hopefully getting this fixed could be a priority since it directly affects students. 

26 Comments
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

@RogerThat 

Thanks for sharing this. Before we move it forward for a broader conversation, could you confirm that you have already asked Canvas Support to investigate the behavior?

Surveyor

Hi @Stefanie!  Thanks for the quick response! This is what I've done so far:

• I submitted a ticket through the "Submit a ticket, Get Help" link on Canvas. My institution's tech support then contacted with me, and noted that the problem seems to be related to New Quizzes.
  • I posted to the New Quizzes forum page here

Is there a different support channel that I should speak with first?

Community Team
Community Team

@RogerThat 

Would you please confirm that your institution's tech support escalated your ticket to Canvas Support, get the case number from them, and post it here? We'd like to make sure our engineers have determined that this is intentional design rather than a bug—so if local support hasn't yet escalated it, please ask them to do that for you. Thanks!

Surveyor

@Stefanie Sure thing! I'll contact them and organize that. Thank you!

Surveyor

@Stefanie Here's the case number: 06730323 

Thank you so much for your quick reply and your assistance with this matter!

Community Team
Community Team

@RogerThat 

We've researched the case. The response from Canvas Support is that this is not intended behavior; it is a bug and we have associated it with an engineering ticket (Jira CNVS-50423). We've made sure that your case is linked with the engineering ticket so that you will receive updates on the progress toward resolution.

As this is now in the hands of Canvas Support, we've archived the idea.

Thanks for working with us on this!

Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Surveyor

@Stefanie Thank you so much for the update and for linking this case w/ the engineering team! What would be the best way for me to track the progress of this? (e.g. is there a support or forum page) This will help me determine if/when I need to re-do my tests in Classic Quizzes.

Community Team
Community Team

@RogerThat 

Assuming your institution's tech support initially submitted the case on your behalf, they will automatically receive updates as they occur. You can ask them to copy you on the ticket so that you will receive updates as well—or, you could ask them to keep you informed. 🙂

Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

@RogerThat 

Thanks for your extraordinary patience with this, and we apologize for all the back-and-forth between various places. I just learned that upon reviewing the ticket, our Product team determined that the described backtracking functionality is currently working as intended.

So we'll move this idea forward now for broader conversation.

Please accept our apologies!