[New Quizzes] Don't require distractors for Word Bank in Fill-in-the-blank questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Problem statement:

I've been using the Word Bank feature of the new quiz fill-in-the-blank type question. It would be more functional if it didn't require entering a "distractor" as well as the correct answer for every blank. Giving the option is good, but I would prefer to have just a bank of answers that will all be used in the question.

Proposed solution:

Remove the requirement to enter a "distractor" for every blank in a fill-in-the-blank type question using a Word Bank.

User role(s):

instructor

8 Comments
jw2546
Community Contributor

@ellisonl15 I agree they should fix this. In the meantime, you might try matching questions as a workaround.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ellisonl15
Community Participant

@jw2546 Thanks. I use the matching type when it's appropriate, but if I want students to put forms in the correct place in a chart (like the different persons & numbers for amō, below), for instance, I'd need a bank. 

singular plural
1st person `amō` `amāmus`
2nd person `amās` `amātis`
3rd person `amat` `amant`
ellisonl15
Community Participant

Here's a way I'm working around the requirement that every word bank question have distractors, when I only want the actual possible answers to be options. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 8.59.16 PM.png

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-12-17)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-12-17) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed