[New Quizzes] Download Quiz Statistics

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas LMS

quizzes.next‌

Currently, there is no way to download or even print the entire Item analysis report from the new quiz feature in Canvas. This is a really useful feature that the original quizzes held. Please add this feature to the new Quizzes feature.

Added to Theme

126 Comments
strisler
Community Explorer

I just commented on this, but now having read through all of the comments, I see this issue was brought up a long time ago.  I just don't understand why this isn't a priority.  I literally just spent over 4 hours manually entering the data into excel so I could create my own reports to drill down on the data - this is a ridiculous waste of time.  I'm ready to go back to paper exams, at least with Scantron or Akindi I can get excel files.  Please, please prioritize this. 

frances_tee
Community Member

I would like to be able to export student results for a new quiz: on one csv / report, each student and the responses to each item on the quiz. 

This capability would be on par with classic quiz and is needed when I want a more detailed look at each students response and can analyze results as a class with that context available. 

WenjuanXie
Community Novice

Canvas records how many minutes a student spent in a quiz. Please include this information in the exported "student analysis" spreadsheet. Many instructors find this information useful. I had online chat with a tech rep and he agrees that this is a function that's helpful but not currently offered.

ScottMurray
Community Member

We utilize the ability of Canvas Quiz to randomly select problems to generate "unique" tests for each student. However, the student analysis reporting in this case has significant issues that negatively impact analysis and require significant extra effort from the teacher: 

a) the algorithm processes students in the reverse order that their grades were entered
  b) questions are not labeled nor are they grouped by type - they are added to the csv file in the order encountered as each student is processed.

Since there is no labelling and no ordering, questions that have the same point value have to be manually looked up and reordered. This is a time-consuming and error prone activity, which makes data analysis extremely difficult. This analysis is important to identify where students are struggling and if one version of the problem was significantly different in difficulty.

To be useful, AT A MINIMUM, the algorithm should:

1) order results in columns by problem # and version IN THE SAME ORDER as entered in the quiz.
2) At least preserve the Group name in the header (if one was defined).

It would be nice if the data were sorted (or there were options to sort) by period and student name.

Regards, 

Scott Murray

Mathematics/Computer Science Teacher, Los Altos HIgh School

KBurnette2021
Community Member

I need this feature!  Blackboard has this feature, and it's supposed to be an inferior platform.

r_sikes
Community Explorer

I am getting ready for my 5th pandemic semester using Canvas and still New Quiz doesn't output a simple CSV of my students text responses to fill in the blank questions. I use this feature to review anatomy questions asking students to "Identify the outlined structure".  Their incorrect answers are often more instructive in quiz review than the # or correct answers to a long list of correct answer variants. Even better would be to include a list of the incorrect answers in Quiz Statistics - like Learning Catalytics does.

I guess I am still stuck with Classic quiz for another semester. Glad Canvas didn't pull the plug in July 2021. I teach all summer.

anne_lightbody
Community Explorer

Please allow us to download CSV export files. We are being forced to switch to New Quizzes this summer, and the apparent continuing lack of CSV export (which would be on par with the classic Quizzes tool, as promised) is going to result in my having to reinvent numerous tried-and-true Canvas solutions to compare and consult student answers. I also would appreciate having information about time to complete included in the export document. 

johnwsmunro
Community Member

I am getting a bit concerned by the lack of response in this issue. It is clear from the numerous posts, that this is a concern to many of us. I don't want to beg...I just want a downloadable CSV preferably one that is sortable by both first and last name

david_simpson1
Community Explorer

Another example of poor design with New Quizzes.

How this got through the initial build is beyond me.

KathyWebb
Community Member

The final quizzes.next quiz in our courses are feedback from the students - three questions with likert scale and one essay question. We review the feedback regularly to improve the courses. We need the ability to download the quiz in a spreadsheet including the essay.

Since the quiz is built from an item bank, even being able to download the results from all items in a bank would give us the information we need to address student feedback.