cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Download Quiz Statistics

New Quizzes: Download Quiz Statistics

(102)

quizzes.next‌

Currently, there is no way to download or even print the entire Item analysis report from the new quiz feature in Canvas. This is a really useful feature that the original quizzes held. Please add this feature to the new Quizzes feature.

113 Comments
Al_C

I decided to go with the New Quizzes partly because I was told that the reporting capabilities were better than the classic quizzes. Can that be true given that the reporting capabilities of the New quizzes is so limited?

audvadia

This conversation was started 3 years ago and this feature is still absent. This is an essential feature and those of us who started using Canvas 3 years ago who were encouraged to start with New Quizzes with the promise of parity with the Classic Quizzes coming "soon" are frustrated. Can you please let us know a date of when we should expect the solution to the problem? And in the meantime, please provide a way to easily export "New Quizzes" to "Classic" format so we can down load .cvs while we wait for this to be implemented.

r_sikes
Community Member

While I have found the integration of Classic Canvas quiz into the workflow of my teaching to be good, and some question formats like HotSpots in New Quiz to be very helpful, I use Fill-in-Blank questions extensively. Seeing a spreadsheet immediately with every students responses to each question is extremely valuable to me.

In lecture and lab I give weekly short answer quizzes and review the questions immediately. Item analysis lets me know what question need the most work, but even then all errors are tabulated as “Other" responses I find that the errors made by students are more valuable to teaching than the numbers of correct responses.

And also, while grading I can use Excel to sort and filter the grade columns of answers to each question much faster and more reliably than “Speed”grader.  Especially if you remove the Speedgrader filter that allows grading all answers to a question at once.

If NewQuiz doesn’t have CSV export or similar reporting, I will have to move to another quizzing system. I am set for this semester since all of my quizzes are still Classic Quizzes. But I also teach all summer.

Please keep this feature functioning.

HalNelson
Community Member

This post is 3 years old, so it doesn't look like much is happening with this most basic requirement for a learning management system. I would much rather use D2L!

jrican

We definitely need this ability. We have nursing students and the analytics of test questions need to be combined across all the sections from 3 campuses and if you cannot download the statistical data for the New Quizzes, this cannot be done. Not cool at all!

mhaberla

+1

JDK
Community Member

Hitting this again because I'm hitting another situation where I need to be able to download student responses into some format other than the locked down reporting that new quizzes has. I do notice that the answer to this post that has a link to where it says this will be developed is no longer a functional link.

Would love to have a response from the dev team about the progress on this as so many people need this as core functionality.

tslee
Community Participant

Please bring back ability to export quiz results that show each student's attempts (even if multiple attempts are allowed)

CSV format preferred, as this would allow flexibility and highest customization option for teaching staff to make use of it. Thanks!

johnwsmunro

Maybe if enough of us comment on this it will eventually get done. I have been waiting way too long for this option to collect and evaluate student quiz/survey results.

a1063023
Community Participant

I just started using New Quizzes assuming that you could export the quiz answers from the students. In what universe does it make sense to have a quiz tool where you can't get the results? SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, MS Forms, old quizzes, all trivially allow you to get this data.

Now I have to throw away my quizzes and start again.

a1063023
Community Participant

In the classic quizzes, you could export all of the student answers to a CSV file.

In SurveyMonkey, you can export all student answers to a CSV file.

In Google Forms, you can export all student answers to a CSV file (you can even post it to a private URL so it can be queried in real time by a script — neat)

In Microsoft Forms, you can export all student answers to an Excel file (you can even link it to Sharepoint so it can be queried in real time by another spreadsheet — neat)

In New Quizzes, you cannot get the data out in any useful form.

I have 350 students who have answered a quiz about what program they're in, what major they're doing, etc., all for the purposes of collecting that information to get some understanding about the class. Some of this data was intended to be pushed downstream for graduation checks later in the year.

I made the mistake of writing my quiz in New Quizzes and I cannot get access to that data in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Idea: add "export answers to CSV" button.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

The first post on this topic was in January 2019.

we are still waiting for a download option for the "New" Quiz tool.
With recent work I have had to carry out on investigations into possible collusion cases I have found it very difficult an time consuming trying to identify logs, data etc

Please Instructure take this request seriously and provide us with the functionality that was previously present in the classic version.

Maybe you should change the name form classic to functional !

Thank you 

JDK
Community Member

3+ years is way too long for something that should be this trivial to produce. I'm steering everyone to use classic (functional as r_v_jones said) quizzes over new quizzes for exactly this reason. I hate to see the mess when all of canvas defaults over to new quizzes.

Fermat_Wits

Can Canvas act on this feature please. There so many reasons why this feature will be beneficial to all.

allison_stetar
Community Member

I used one for a PD survey, so now I can't efficiently analyze the choices educators made.

Another use: Combining Data from multiple classes/teachers to analyze responses and plan intervention.

a1063023
Community Participant

I have just sent out the following message to our entire learning and teaching network across all of science, engineering, comp sci, and maths in our University:

New Quizzes in MyUni considered harmful (cannot export data)
I have unfortunately discovered this semester that the New Quizzes feature in MyUni can't export the data input through the quiz to a CSV file. I spent some frustrating time with Canvas support staff to investigate, and it's simply not possible.
If you currently use MyUni quizzes as a sort of SurveyMonkey/GoogleForms way for students to give you information that you post-process the results to analyse for trends etc., do not even consider using New Quizzes because the data is completely unavailable.
New Quizzes is ONLY useful if you are setting up a formative or summative assessment that is explicitly marked (whether automated via multiple choice answers or manually marked via text box inputs).

Unfortunately for me in ENG 4001, I have a whole stack of data now stuck in a New Quiz that I can't get out 😞
MMat
Community Member

Canvas does not understand how academia works or evaluates information, this program is intended apparently only to be a pass through to other educational use software's; no useful internal functionality on its own.  Every thread on this website ends in the same answer - oh, Canvas can't do that.  And apparently they have no intent to make it do data exports either.  3 years to create an export button for data that has to exists in the quiz module.  It is there, but they won't allow you to get to it in any meaningful way.

BrianPayne

In this day and age of data pervasiveness and program assessment requirements for accreditation, I'm stunned that I cannot download new quiz results by student and by question. I can get each student's results. Or, I can get the aggregated results for each question. However, I cannot have a two-way look of by-student and by-question results unless I manually collect this data. It is a true time sink given the questions are randomly ordered for the students, not to mention the possibility of human error in the data entry process. Please, let the faculty export an individual quiz that shows how the students performed on each question...you already have the format created for exporting overall grades. Thank you.

DanHahn

I would like to chime in and say that this feature is sorely missed at the University of Illinois as well. We're migrating from Blackboard and it's a huge inconvenience when an instructor has already received New Quiz submissions from students and they discover they cannot bulk download the responses. Please prioritize.

JDK
Community Member

This need an update about when this feature will be available. It's ridiculous that we cannot get access to the data in any way other than the analysis that canvas provides. As someone else suggested at the very least make it possible to change a new quiz back to 'classic' so we can access this basic functionality. I don't care if it breaks questions that are in a new format and I have to remake them it's better than remaking every quiz again in classic to actually get access to the data and away from new quizzes. I dread the day when 'classic' is no longer supported and the headache that it will cause for IT and canvas itself when a whole lot of people realize the mess that they're now forced to use.