New Quizzes: Duplicate Question

It would be helpful to be able to duplicate a question in the quiz generator. Let's say I'm quizzing students on the use of figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, and synecdoche). I could make my first question with multiple choice answers: a. simile, b. metaphor, c. personification, and d. synecdoche. If I could duplicate the questions, I would not have to retype the four answer selections.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-09).

88 Comments
dee_kerwickchri
Community Novice

The ability to duplicate anything and everything would be rather helpful.

bogardde
Community Participant

Take a gander at #2 on the Priorities list that was produced at our Khaki project meeting a couple of weeks ago. Woohoo!

Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas 

cstrykowski
Community Novice

Does that include being able to duplicate quiz questions though? That's what matters to me.

bogardde
Community Participant

Yes, that was definitely on the list of items we wanted to be able to duplicate!

rkillips
Community Novice

Is this something they ever intend to address?  This function exists in many other LMS formats and is a HUGE time saver.  Honestly struggle with the idea Canvas has never added this feature.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

I come back and browse to see if they've gotten past "soon!  It'll be great! Soon!"  ... there are two projects I'm doing in other venues because I just don't have time to wade through the workarounds, and there are just enough student interface issues that I don't want to inflict on students. 

So, I've stopped struggling with the issue.  I'm hoping to be able to learn enough to make things work in Canvas eventually. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ddrayer ‌

In the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes you will find guides for the new Quizzes LTI tool.  In this new tool, the ability to duplicate a question within the quiz itself does not exist, however you can copy a question within the question banks.

Take a look, and let us know what you think.

don_bryn
Community Champion

I hope the Canvas development team has a smart enough system to notice how often this question comes up in one form or another.  

I hope for a complete restructuring of how content is stored and created:  Something with a central repository for content for each user/instructor/designer.   It could store (in some logical manner that is easily searchable) pages, snippets, quizzes, questions, banks, rubrics, etc.  This would really increase the flexibility and usability of all types of content and really address quite a few recurring feature requests.

daviddsieloff
Community Member

This should be the #1 fix.  Having to type the same exact answer choices over and over again is such a waste of time!

jstowe
Community Novice

Agreed. Users have been asking for this dating back to 2015.