New Quizzes: Duplicate Question

It would be helpful to be able to duplicate a question in the quiz generator. Let's say I'm quizzing students on the use of figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, and synecdoche). I could make my first question with multiple choice answers: a. simile, b. metaphor, c. personification, and d. synecdoche. If I could duplicate the questions, I would not have to retype the four answer selections.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-09).

88 Comments
jstowe
Community Novice

That's a workaround and not a solution.

jstowe
Community Novice

Agreed. Duplicate is available in nearly every other  tool that we use. 

colson1
Community Novice

HeartThis is EXACTLY what I need -- I create several similar questions, and I currently must create them all from scratch.

[I am a big fan of Canvas's feature "Choose x of the following y questions".] 

Please note that there IS a capability to copy questions to a different Quiz or Question Bank, but NOT to the current Question Bank. That would be a great place to add the "Duplicate this question within the current Question Bank" option.Heart

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

I cannot believe that this is not already a feature in Canvas (from Day One).  You guys took a lot of credit for being able to duplicate everything in Canvas.... well, not so fast, Canvas!  You still cannot duplicate quiz questions, and I see ZERO reason why that should not already be a feature.  This is not a missing feature, this is a FLAW.

elizabeth_jetto
Community Explorer

How is this still not available?? They added things like "hotspot" but not a simple copy button? Please Canvas, this is a very basic thing that is missing, not some unique feature we're asking for here. 

stevec
Community Contributor

Count me in. If you figure out how much time each of us spends pointlessly retyping the same five words or equations over and over again, it makes no sense to hold off on implementing this. There are literally hundreds of wasted hours represented in this thread. 

zenas_lee
Community Novice

How was this suggested in 2015 but still not available? I agree with everyone above that it's a time waster to have to copy-paste answer choices for several questions. This is a basic feature in Google Forms. PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THIS FEATURE AVAILABLE!

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

This bears repeating: This is not a missing feature we are requesting.  This is a fundamental FLAW of Canvas that needs to be FIXED.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

Am I mistaken, I thought this feature is available in quizzes.next. I know I duplicate questions all the time. 

Since the old quiz system is going away i can see why Insructure wouldn't want to waste their time with it.

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

I have no idea what quizzes.next is.  (My university just started using Canvas, so we are all new at this.) And just to be clear, are you talking about duplicating quiz bank questions, or questions that you write yourself?  I have to write all of mine, and I see no duplicate function for quiz questions.