In quizzes.new moderation, it would be nice to sort students by class and name 

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

To clarify, is this idea asking that you be able to Moderate a New Quiz by Section?

If so, this is very much needed when a course has multiple sections and potentially over 100 students.

This idea was brought up in Classic Quizzes:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Add-A-Filter-To-Moderate-Quiz-Screen/idi-p/294...

@jsparks - in that previous idea you mention:  "This is a solid idea, but not something we will implement on our existing Quizzing toolset.  We will consider this for future development in the Modern Quizzing Engine ; however, this would be further down the road. I will add this to our list of potential features. For now, I suggest we archive this idea."

Do you know when it might be added to New Quizzes, please?    thanks!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@cboroski @Hildi_Pardo consider adding a star rating and/or comment on this closely-related idea: 

Maybe this idea's rating & comments can focus on sorting, which I agree is needed.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Thank you @RobDitto !

mfm0003
Community Participant

This is a desperate need. At the very least, the the display order of the student names should be alphabetical. Currently it appears to be random. Filtering/sorting would be very helpful!

tess_olten
Community Explorer

We agree wholeheartedly!

dla0009
Community Member

Great Idea! Hopefully Canvas will listen to this request. I am still waiting on them to allow us to sort previous courses in "All Courses".  Canvas, if you need help I have some first year programming students who could help you with a sorting algorithm.

dbillingsley
Community Explorer

It seems that this idea has been raised before, but the links for sharing/promoting the idea redirect to a 404, so I am posting this here to keep it in the roadmap conversation.  It's bewildering that the list of students in the Moderate tab in new quizzes can't be sorted.  The students are currently listed in a random order--at the very least it should default to alphabetical by last name, or some order that can be more easily replicated in the gradebook. 

PV3
Community Member

Please consider adding the following in the 'Moderate Quiz' page:

1. Sort by the 'Time' column as well as by the 'Student Name' column;
  2. Add a drowpdown somewhere neat the top of that same page that lets us select the class section (as I have merged two sections into one Canvas course);
  3. Let us see all the students in that section (even though they may be 200) on one un-interrupted list, without the need to click on the Next link at the bottom.

Thank you.

cindy_lurie
Community Explorer

We would also like a sort option for attempts or a filter which allows faculty to see which students have not yet attempted a quiz. This is especially critical in large classes. Currently faculty have to scroll through numerous pages to determine whether a student has started a quiz.

bspears
Community Member

Agreed-- it would be great to be able to moderate just a single class period as it occurs, rather than all sections at once. 

JayneHollensbe
Community Member

This feature is desperately needed. I have 10 sections of the same course and I really need to be able to sort by section. The lack of the ability to moderate this has really caused me to think twice about using Quizzes in the future.

Needs: 

1. Sort in alpha order;

2. Sort by section; 

3. List all on one page. 

JasonSchrage
Community Member

I agree!  I have 5 sections and 100 students it would be extremely helpful to filter by section/group when moderating a a quiz.  

nkching
Community Explorer

We really need this feature ASAP for both New Quizzes and Classic Quizzes (before it sunsets). We have many teachers teaching multiple sections of the same course. It's difficult to moderate when all students show up on the screen when they are not taking the quiz at that moment.

JasonSchrage
Community Member

I totally agree - I teach 5 sections of the same course and it would be extremely helpful to filter by a specific section. When I am having students complete a quiz during my 5th-period class I only want to observe those students during that class period. It is tedious to have to sort through my other 4 class periods to monitor my students currently in my classroom.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.