New Quizzes: Formula Questions - Ability to input Variables

(2)

Hi all: I'm new to Canvas - our institution just moved from Blackboard (BB). There were two minor tweaks in BB for formula questions that I haven't seen in Canvas that I think would be easy features to add. 

Let's say I create the formula question as in this document

How do I create a Formula question in New Quizzes?  

Among the variable-solution combinations shown in this example is one with a variable of 1 (and a solution of 300,000). I would like to be able to do the two following things

1. Delete that choice. (This is useful as often Canvas seems to generate duplicate variable-solution combinations. Also, I might want to give a variable range of -4 to +4, but then delete 0 if that showed up.)

2. Replace the variable "1" in the example in the document above with "5." At that point, in addition to "re-generate," there needs to be a "re-compute" button. That will leave the variables as they are (the rest as originally selected by Canvas, and my "5" which replaced Canvas's "1,") and the solutions will be re-computed, so the solutions will stay as Canvas had originally computed, except that the 300,000 next to the original "1" will be replaced by 1,500,000 next to the "5" I entered to replace "1."

(This second feature can be generalized so that I can replace some or all of the variables selected by Canvas. In BB, after BB generated random variables and computed the solutions and displayed the variable-solution combinations just as Canvas does, the variables as displayed were in input boxes, so one could simply replace whichever variables one wanted to, and then simple re-compute the solutions - not regenerate the variables.)

Happy to send a screen-shot from BB if that's of help.

Cheers, and happy developing - stay healthy.

2 Comments
JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

I would love to be able to type in my own numbers on a formula question. I often have paired variables or am trying to have students do math for making reagents. I try to pick realistic volumes. I also often have paired data, like x always has to be greater than y, but they can both be anywhere from 0 to 14.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.