New Quizzes: Full size Stimulus Questions with no internal scroll bar

(4)

When attaching multiple questions to a stimulus question a scroll bar will appear so students can scroll down to see all the questions. Some students don't realize that they need to scroll using the internal scroll bar, and miss questions. I would propose that the scroll bar is eliminated and the questions appear at full length to eliminate any confusion.

353992_Stim Question.png

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @tracy_campbell . As it moves forward for broad discussion, you might also be interested in https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16388-new-quizzes-horizontal-stimulus-prompt 

Estefania
Community Explorer

This is very good - I have found the same issue. Additionally, it would be good if the stimulus went down as the student scrolls through the questions instead of remaining at the top of the page, so that students could still refer to it when looking at the last questions.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I have the same complaint. Nested scrolling within a stimulus question is asking for trouble as students don't realize that they needed to scroll down on the inner scroll bar. This is also made worse by mouse placement when using a scroll wheel on the mouse. I created the below video in our beta environment to see the issue in action.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/059-KzJjp3z4QIusItDkLg2Dw#nested_scroll_bars_in_new_quizzes

Whether the stimulus is set to the right or set below, the nested scroll bar is there.

Students feel a unique sense of pressure already when taking an exam and to have a labyrinth of scrolling, panning, clicking, and viewing is insane.

In my opinion, this is a major step BACKWARDS from the classic quizzes and if we get forced into this, we may have to look for another LTI for our quizzes/exams.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.