New Quizzes Grading Indication

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

New Quizzes Grading

New Quizzes allows mixed question formats which could result in some questions being auto graded and some needing manual grading. In the grade book, using Speedgrader, there is no indicator of what is fully graded and what is not unless you use the moderator on each student and view the attempts. Our idea was to have the Green check mark for fully graded quizzes, a Yellow dot for partially graded and a Red dot for ungraded that shows in the  Student Drop down list where you can currently see the Green check mark. Instructors often have to step away and it would a benefit if they can quickly see where they left off and return to grading. 

43 Comments
dhulsey
Community Champion

Quizzes that need review should absolutely be indicated in the gradebook and should appear on the instructor's to do list. The absences are a major departure from the basic design language of Canvas that all other items needing review use. I can't imagine deploying new quizzes on a large scale without this being addressed; it would cause mass confusion among faculty and students. 

younjin_yang
Community Novice

This is a must. 

Pls help me,  I don't want to go over every single students' essay questions to find out if she/he ever submitted the quiz. 

THANKS MUCH~

sbridge
Community Participant

Has there been any progress or movement on this issue?  It's been in discussions for almost 2 years now and is a HUGE issue for instructors.  CANVAS, do you hear us?

andrew_holmes
Community Member

@KRISTAGIBBONS Looks like there are a couple of other threads!  

Totally agree.  I have actually missed assignments and quizzes to grade because students took them at the end of the grading window and I had no clue about their submissions! 

LoriePhalen
Community Member

This change needs to be a priority.  The speed grader is not speedy by any means.  Negotiating between the grade book trying to determine if the assessment is graded or not graded is hugely time-consuming.  The To-Do list needs to be put back onto the Dashboard for direct access to assignments and assessments submitted.

RobinNielson
Community Member

PLEASE - reinstate the icon that shows manual grading is required.  PLEASE. 

In the old format, when a test was given with mixed question types, e.g. multiple choice, matching, and ESSAY, there was a little rocket icon that indicated a part or all of the quiz needed to be graded manually. This was super helpful during grading since it could be seen at-a-glance what grading needed to be done.

That notification feature is NOT in the new 'upgraded' quiz version of Canvas.  Instead, the scores earned for the multiple-choice/matching questions are auto-loaded in the grade column BEFORE the essay portions are graded manually - there is no indicator that the score is incomplete and that manual grading needs to take place.  THIS MAKES GRADING VERY DIFFICULT because  EACH AND EVERY QUIZ that has any manual grading MUST BE OPENED AND REVIEWED FOR ORIGINAL GRADING and REGRADING.  The only way to see if something needs manual grading is to OPEN THE QUIZ and look for "The following questions need review" notice at the top of the quiz.  While this may not be much of a burden for some subjects (though still an annoyance), it is a HUGE problem for English teachers.  More so when you consider that some English teachers have up to 200 students, and we MUST include essay sections to check for understanding.  Without a notification icon, this means grading checks have to be manually done for EVERY quiz to make sure students have not retaken or have not been missed during the initial grading.  This also means, to be fair and honest with students for their efforts, we have to DO IT AGAIN for EVERY assignment/quiz AT THE END OF EACH QUARTER to be accurate in our grading.  Do you have any idea how much time that takes? 

PLEASE - reinstate the icon that shows manual grading is required.  PLEASE. 

rexj
Community Participant

Please implement this. Adding the color markers will make things more straightforward for teachers. 

Fernsy
Community Participant

The current workload of having to check each submission in gradebook to see if marked is far too time consuming.

When teaching across multiple courses with many students this would make keeping track of what students have completed a very simple task. A brilliant idea! 

ljohnson2
Community Member

Canvas used to have an icon that would appear in the grade book to indicate that a quiz had a question that needs to be manually graded. Now instead there is a grade shown. This means that I need to go through EVERY quiz to determine which students I still need to grade. This become a huge hassle when students submit after I have graded the assignment. So what I am is asking is for the grade book to show an icon instead of a final grade for any quiz that has a manually graded question. Because the quiz isn't graded completely. I am wasting too much time going through submission I have already graded to find the needle in the hay of quizzes. Please fix this.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Here is an interesting thing: I have an exam with one essay question in New Quizzes. When students submit, it shows up as a zero in the gradebook, and I forgot to set the final to manual release. The first student who submits freaks out about the zero, so I go into the gradebook and delete the zero until I can grade it. When I deleted the zero, the exam showed up on my to do list. This suggests that there is a way to get the new quizzes on the instructor to do list because I can do it myself by hand. 🤷‍ I love Canvas, but it is way past time to fix some of the problems with New Quizzes like this one and the fact that quizzes are not copying when I copy a class for the new term.