[New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes

Many times, we write quizzes that get progressively more difficult. I would love a feature where students can get grades as they go on a quiz. In other words, they can submit their answer for question 1 and see correct answers and/or comments before they have to submit their answer for question 2.  By doing such, a student could determine if they are on a completely wrong trajectory before failing an entire quiz. This can maximize effectiveness of instructor comments, identify key basic misunderstandings before advancing, give immediate feedback for the student, and allow the quiz to be both a learning and assessment tool.

Currently, the only option to do this is to create multiple one question quizzes instead of a single multi question quiz. This is not only cumbersome, but can be awkward within Grades (especially if you have settings to drop high/low scores)

Added to Theme

85 Comments
annette_nicholl
Community Novice

I have been waiting over a year now for this immediate answer checking and feedback option.

Can someone tell me if it is ever going to be possible, or should I give up on CANVAS?

Annette Nicholls

|*:02 5804 7058| Science |Biology |Senior Science | Alternate Programs

Dubbo School of Distance Education / Myall Street Dubbo, NSW, 2830

gbaxley
Community Member

Seems like chemists and biologists think alike!

jwc0115
Community Novice

293805_pastedImage_1.png

gbaxley
Community Member

This is a great example Sandy, thank you! I know Canvas has a lot on their plate, but I do hope this solution comes forward. Otherwise, maybe someone knows of another platform I can use to create quizzes like this and will post their clever solution.

deldridge1
Community Novice

Hi everyone,

Couldn't agree more with the issue - this is one of the first features that I looked for when moving to Canvas.

The solution that I used to get around this was to create a 'feedback question' after every question in the quiz.

So, for example, if you wanted to ask two questions, each worth one mark, you would set up a 4-question quiz as follows:

Question 1: Your 1st question, worth 1 point, with any answering options that you like

Question 2: Feedback for question 1, worth 0 points, with only one MCQ answer option ("continue" or "yes")

Question 3: Your 2nd question, worth 1 point, with any answering options that you like

Question 4: Feedback for question 2, worth 0 points, with only one MCQ answer option ("continue" or "yes")

I've been using this method for the last 3 semesters in my chemistry class (yes, another chemist!) and it seems to be working well. It means that the students get immediate feedback on their thoughts and ideas, prior to having to attempt the next question.

The major downside is that it doesn't lead to custom feedback based on the answer that students choose, so you need to be quite predictive about what the student's issue might be.

I hope this helps some of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As an aside, the only 2 solutions I have for customising instantaneous feedback so far are both awkward, and neither allow you to measure whether a student has completed the work, or how they went:

1) Javascript to show/hide information based on students selecting or entering an answer, which works well in theory, but the mobile app doesn't like it, which makes it a little redundant.

2) Making your own quiz through 'Pages', where answers are presented as links, which lead to new Pages based on the choice the student makes. This is tedious to set up, and only works for MCQ, but it does allow you to customise the feedback.

gbaxley
Community Member

@deldridge1 ‌ Thank you for the ideas! Do you think you could send me an example of a pair of your quiz questions? Thanks, Greg

deldridge1
Community Novice

Sure - I've attached images of two pairs here:

Example 1 of a question with feedback

Example 2 of a question with feedback

Note the scoring system, question naming, and options for answering the feedback questions. They are really the only unusual things about the setup.

Again, hope it's useful!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@deldridge1 ‌, this is clever! To my mind this has the potential for wide application across many subjects (I would have figured out a way to use this in my philosophy and humanities courses). Since it's currently in the comments section under a feature idea, it's not readily discoverable at the moment. Would you be willing to take a few minutes to write it up as a discussion or document posted to the Higher Education group, and then share it with the Teaching Math in Canvas group? (You'll need to join both groups to do that if you aren't already a member, but that's easy to do: just navigate to the group home page and select Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the page.)

If you need help with this, let me know; we'd love for this solution to get broader exposure.

deldridge1
Community Novice

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the kind words!

I'd certainly be happy to, is there any particular format, or a proforma that you'd like me to follow?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni