[New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes

Many times, we write quizzes that get progressively more difficult. I would love a feature where students can get grades as they go on a quiz. In other words, they can submit their answer for question 1 and see correct answers and/or comments before they have to submit their answer for question 2.  By doing such, a student could determine if they are on a completely wrong trajectory before failing an entire quiz. This can maximize effectiveness of instructor comments, identify key basic misunderstandings before advancing, give immediate feedback for the student, and allow the quiz to be both a learning and assessment tool.

Currently, the only option to do this is to create multiple one question quizzes instead of a single multi question quiz. This is not only cumbersome, but can be awkward within Grades (especially if you have settings to drop high/low scores)

Added to Theme

85 Comments
deldridge1
Community Novice

Wonderful, thanks Stefanie – I’m on the job!

aorbinati
Community Novice

Not much more I can say to add value to the conversation. Some great comments here. I simply and sincerely hope Canvas will add this as an option!

deldridge1
Community Novice

Thanks for your help stefaniesanders.

For anyone after some extra tips, I've followed Stefanie's advice and made a short video on how to do it and posted it here.

Have a great 2019 everyone.

jwc0115
Community Novice

Thanks Daniel! That's exactly what we needed. This looks quite reasonable as a series of steps and it solves the problem perfectly.  In our case, it's 8th-grade Chemistry and we want to offer them explanations for their mistakes as they proceed. Thanks for taking the time to document the process. Monty Python always helps too. Smiley Happy

john_crisford
Community Novice

Just latching onto this content under a different user name (UNT email address is leaving soon).

sdavick
Community Contributor

We would love to have this option for our course! We use Canvas quizzes as formative assessment as well as summative assessment and would use it more often if our students had the ability to receive feedback on an answer they have given and then continue to dig in and work some more when they realize they haven't found the correct answer.

jdrygas
Community Novice

I have been hoping for this feature as a math teacher for 6 years. Really annoying that it still isn't possible. I only use Canvas quizzes as practice assignments, so I would love kids to be able to find out immediately how they are doing. Currently what I do is give unlimited attempts and encourage kids to hit submit even after they just do the first question. It is a very primitive work around.

annette_nicholl
Community Novice

I agree with John and all the other teachers that have been pleading for the immediate feedback as an option. I teach students with a wide range of abilities. The students who need extra support find it very frustrating and difficult to understand the work if they can not get immediate feedback as they work through the quizzes. These are formative quizzes aimed to deliver the work, not assessments. As I teach through "distance" education I do not have the option of standing in front of the class to explain the work.

Could someone please explain WHY Canvas has not adopted this option?? Is it not possible?

deldridge1
Community Novice

Hi Annette, Hi John,

Does the method that we discussed above (5th December 2018 or 17th January 2019) help you?

Cheers, Daniel

jdrygas
Community Novice

Yea not a bad work around. Ultimately not exactly what I'm looking for. Sometimes its not as simple as a concept that increases in difficulty. Often there are different concepts in the same practice quiz so I just want feedback on each question like web assign or many other sites out there for math. Also most 6th graders like the ones I teach won't stop and read through carefully before moving on. They just need quick practice. Now I also teach Calculus for an online cyber school, and what you are describing could work for them. So I appreciate the suggestion. And I think it's a great idea for Chemistry or Physics classes.