[New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes

Many times, we write quizzes that get progressively more difficult. I would love a feature where students can get grades as they go on a quiz. In other words, they can submit their answer for question 1 and see correct answers and/or comments before they have to submit their answer for question 2.  By doing such, a student could determine if they are on a completely wrong trajectory before failing an entire quiz. This can maximize effectiveness of instructor comments, identify key basic misunderstandings before advancing, give immediate feedback for the student, and allow the quiz to be both a learning and assessment tool.

Currently, the only option to do this is to create multiple one question quizzes instead of a single multi question quiz. This is not only cumbersome, but can be awkward within Grades (especially if you have settings to drop high/low scores)

Added to Theme

85 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Tried many of those two but to be honest, my staff and I want a solution that sits within the platform we use - namely Quizzes.

I dont want or need Mastery Paths for the same reason that you mention and also because not everything needs to be graded.

I wish we could move away from this mild obsession of grading/summative assessment and focusing on feedback/feedforward which is exactly what this idea is all about!

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Been looking at Neo LMS by Cypher Learning. They have this feature in place when you submit your question (see below). They also run on Ruby on Rails. Feature appears as an option - works really well.

340456_IF.PNG

Could this not be the way forward by offering elements as options?

aorbinati
Community Novice

Huge fan of the NEO LMS. Cypher did a great job with it.

jmblank
Community Member

"Adaptive Mode" in Moodle Quizzes does this just the way I want it.

The student submits the answer to each question individually and the answer is reported to be correct or incorrect immediately. As the instructor, I control whether the student is then shown the right answer. I always set it so the correct answer is not provided, so the student has to keep trying to solve the problem. I can also control the penalty for each wrong answer on a question-by-question basis. For some practice problem sets, it's zero. For other homework problems, I set it to 10% or 20% of the question's value. The student gets a valuable experience plugging in an answer, finding that it's wrong, and then reevaluating the question and confronting misconceptions or errors at once. This is a big part of how I teach; I invest a lot of effort in developing challenging homework and practice problems and I want students to be able to get the most out of each problem.

gbaxley
Community Member

Jason, I agree, this would be a feature well worth having. Especially now in spring 2020 that everything is online. Give me this, and folders for Pages! Come on, Canvas folks, you can do it!

jernigst
Community Member

I am yet another ditto, but I agree that having immediate feedback features for quiz questions would make it easier to replace our $100+ per-student online homework system, and that this is more important for us now with pressure to reduce the cost of student materials.

smeyer5
Community Member

I was working with an instructor this morning that has thousands of questions in his courses to teach students how to get started working with machining and he wants his students to get the answers right away and if they don't, he wants them to try the same question again until they understand it before going on and progressing. This has been available to them in the past and has worked very well for them. They keep learning and advancing with each question.

kadens
Community Novice

Yes! I want to be able to use feedback to teach students and then see if they can apply what I teach in the feedback to later questions.

If this can't be done, at least return the option from Old Quizzes where you can write a question that is just text and nothing else. That can be used to give feedback, though it's not as good.

nagami
Community Explorer

The lack of this or similar features, combined with the need for students to completely retry  randomized chemistry quizzes from the beginning (rather than only re-do missed answers), makes Canvas's built-in quizzing unsuitable for formative assessments in my quantitative chemistry course.

spotter2
Community Member

Yes - this would be incredibly useful for practice quizzes in chemistry. I'd like students to try a problem to see if they are on the right track and give them feedback on that problem before they move on to another.  Also, I would love to develop assessments where questions build off of each other. But it is frustrating for students if they can't get past the first step. My work around is to give the students unlimited attempts and only have the incorrect and unanswered questions show. This is clunky and there is no visual reward to for correct answers. I hope Canvas gets moving on this quickly!