[New Quizzes] Improve Rubrics Functionality When Grading (New) Quizzes

Hi, folks. I'm a Canvas Admin and I have an idea I think would be helpful for those using rubrics in conjunction with New Quizzes.

It's currently possible to attach a Rubric to a New Quiz and select "use for grading" but we've noticed some problematic behavior when we try to do this. Everything works great when grading from the rubric until a student earns zero points on all elements of the rubric. In that instance the student's grade (0) is never pushed to the gradebook. It would be wonderful if this could be addressed in future improvements to quizzes/rubrics.

It seems like even though it's technically possible to attach a rubric to a quiz the behavior isn't really 100% supported by Canvas. It would be good if this could be improved because quizzes have some great features (like time limits and accommodation options) that make it ideal for exams that have file upload components. For assessments like this, rubrics are very handy. Students are given a clear understanding of what they're being assessed on and instructors can grade easily.

_____

For any Instructure folks who want to see this in action you can check out the screencast I created for the following case:

University of Alabama in Huntsville
Case# 09216219

I can't post it here because it shows student info.

Added to Theme

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

DEvans_TU
Community Member
Problem statement:

Faculty would like to be able score essay and short answers in New Quizzes using a rubric. There is the option to connect an Outcome, but not a Rubric.

Proposed solution:

Can a Rubric option be attached to an essay/short answer quiz question? Something similar to the Rubric in Assignments but for Quiz questions. This can add additional clarity and consistency in grading. It will also help the faculty give more engaging feedback to eLearning students.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer

cvalle
Community Participant
Problem statement:

There is currently no way to specifically grade Essay type questions with a Rubric in a “New Quizzes” quiz while allowing the other types of questions to remain auto-graded.

Proposed solution:

Allow the ability to attach a rubric to a single specific essay question in a quiz.

User role(s):

instructor