New Quizzes: Include Geometry Symbols in MathQuill

0 Likes
(17)

As a geometry teacher, it would be great to have easy access to notation for lines, rays, segments, etc. in MathQuill (New Quizzes).  I've been using LaTex code as a workaround, but I'm not sure my colleagues will be willing to mess with that code.  Please consider adding those geometry symbols (and perhaps other commonly used math templates - piecewise, limits, derivatives) in these math editor tools.

Thanks!

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@lepeskaj 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've moved it forward for broader conversation after amending the title and description slightly to bring the focus on New Quizzes, inasmuch as our teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year.

ajdunnigan
Community Member

Also, on the Classic Quizzes please.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ajdunnigan  As noted above, the Classic Quizzes tool is scheduled for deprecation in early 2021. Our teams are not developing new functionality on the code base for the old quiz tool.

PatriciaW
Community Explorer

New to Canvas so I don't know all the terminology just yet, but I am using New Quizzes.  When I searched for anything related to this topic, the search list only referenced "Math Editor"

PatriciaW
Community Explorer

I agree that many teachers won't be up for LaTex coding.  However, for those who are, the codes work except in a few notable cases:  Line  (\overleftrightarrow) and arc (\overgroup or \overparenthesis).  MathQuill currently will not recognize these codes.  At minimum, these codes should be incorporated into current MathQuill to work correctly for those who type them in.

MollyS
Community Novice

I have been typing and retyping variations for the line symbol to appear in a Canvas New Quiz.  Am I to understand that Canvas New Quiz MathQuill will not create this symbol?  If not, is there an estimated date that it will become part of the equation editor?  As a geometry teacher, this is a pretty basic thing that is hard to live without as we do need to differentiate between lines and line segments as part of our curriculum.  

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Our Math faculty would greatly appreciate having geometry symbols in math editor tools!  

flee1
Community Participant

Using New Quizzes/Math Quill to write questions for my geometry courses and I cannot find a way to get the line symbol above my letters. I am NOT looking for \overline{AB}, as that produces a bar with no arrows. I have tried searching various Latex codes and \overleftrightarrow is what I am looking for, however this does not work in New Quizzes. I do not understand why all Latex code isn't supported in MathQuill. 

This is really frustrating as a Geometry teacher. My workaround is \overleftarrow{A}\overrightarrow{B} which is so cumbersome. Anyone know the code for what I'm looking for? And if not, please add it in!

lepeskaj
Community Explorer

Hi @flee1 ,

This code worked for me in New Quizzes.... \(\overleftrightarrow{AB}\) 

Hope that helps!

Jon

PatriciaW
Community Explorer

Jon, I just tested that and it works, but teachers must code it outside of Math Quill directly into the question box.  Thanks for this info.  It's a help until it is coded properly into Math Quill as it should be.

Patricia

flee1
Community Participant

@lepeskaj  and @PatriciaW 

Thank you!

I didn't think of typing it outside of Math Quill. Usually, I type in Math Quill because I like to see if I typed it in correctly as it will format automatically on the screen. Hopefully, they code that properly in the future when Classic Quizzes goes away and this becomes the default.

phillip_mills
Community Participant

@flee1 the code entered using delimiters will display if you save a page etc. It's a little klunky as a workflow, but it does allow you to immediately see if inline and block LaTeX is formatting correctly in the the new MathJax output.

caries_dhondt
Community Explorer

Dear Canvas,

Help us math teachers out!!!  Please FIX THIS!!!!!

Arcs.JPG

Thank you,

Carie D'Hondt

japgar1
Community Explorer

I would also like this feature. As it is I'm having to search for the code to type into Math Quill, for line segment symbols, ray symbols, arc symbols, etc. Please add the codes to MathQuill. 

ESnyder469
Community Member

Please add the Geometry features to Math Quill.  We use Canvas Quizzes for all of our tests and quizzes and it is difficult to write questions without the ability to use the segment bar, arc, etc.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.