New Quizzes: Leading Zeros Removal Option

0 Likes
(9)

One of our Advanced Manufacturing and Design Technology (AMDT) instructors has several assignments that use the numerical question type. This is due to tolerances being very important in the AMDT industry and numeric is the only question type that allows for tolerances. This is all well and good except for the fact that when typing out the answers Canvas automatically appends a leading zero on to the answer which goes against the standards that the instructor teaches. It does this on both the teachers end and the students end and preferably there would be an option to remove those leading zeros. possibly with a checkbox in the quiz settings area? In case my wording is confusing or I left something out I will post some images to demonstrate what I mean.

The answer section is typed without a leading zero

typed.PNG

A leading zero is automatically added once the box is clicked out of appended.PNG

Using the preview tool to test how it looks on the student end

The answer is typed without a leading zero which is what is expected of the students

styped.PNG

And again once the box is clicked out of the leading zero is appended to the answer which goes against what the students are taught and could be confusing. sappended.PNG

And the leading zero is appended in the final results as well, which has the same issue as above where that could confuse students. finalappended.PNG

Any additional questions are welcome but I hope I have described the issue and what we need for a solution in enough detail to hopefully get this much needed feature added. 

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

trev242424
Community Member

Great Idea. This needs to be done immediately. We do not teach leading zeros in any way shape or form. We break them of this habit if they already have it. Leading zeros cause programming errors and machine crashes and is not a habit we want students to have.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.