New Quizzes: Likert-scale question type as ready-option

(5)
The existing work-around for creating Likert Scale questions, as described below

How do I create Likert scale quiz questions?

is cumbersome and overly complex for the average user.

Link to the original discussion in old Help Center:

True Surveys: Likert Scale Questions and Results Viewable : Help Center

"A true survey, instead of a Quiz, would be very helpful. A feature to allow all students to see the results of the survey. For an example, many of my classes are project classes that are divided into teams. Skill sets are required. It would be helpful for all the class members to have access to the survey so they can see who has what skill sets."

20 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Stephen,

I edited your idea and included the text of the posts in the old community that you had linked to because that site will go offline at the end of June.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Many of the comments in the original discussion posts that Stephen referenced were made by people asking for a likert scale option

snugent
Community Champion

I agree the Canvas guide that Stephen linked is an overly complex process. It would be very helpful to have true likert scale questions.

ldprogrammers
Community Novice

We would really like to have a likert question type as well.

lhenning
Community Novice

I, too, use Likert Scale-type questions in various surveys I give each of my classes.  As I work on creating my first set of classes after using another LMS for 11 years (OK, yes, Bb), I am really feeling the lack of this very useful kind of communication tool with its implied results and reports with my students. 

Thanks for submitting this idea!

Lindsay

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84990_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

thomasm1
Community Explorer

A ready option for this would be very helpful.  Or at the very least having an eacy way to copy and edit the drop downs would be helpful rather than typing (copy/past) the same information, over and over again.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to remove the "correct" answer issue.  Any ideas on that?

reedt
Community Novice

We are only in our second semester of piloting Canvas and I just bumped up against this limitation. I need to create several likert scale questions in a mid-semester teaching evaluation. I would have voted for this feature if I had known about it. I'm sorry that I missed this opportunity!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Tanys,

Sorry to hear that you bumped up against this limitation.  When it went to vote it received 49 votes, which is half way to getting over the threshold.  That being said, I do know that likert scale questions are in the list of improvements to the quizzes that we would like to implement - no promises on timeline but it is a priority for our product team.

ldprogrammers
Community Novice

Actually, at the time of voting opening for this (beginning of the new communities), the requirement was only 30.  This is one reason why it is so disappointing that discussions were closed.  Right now, we are so extremely busy with implementation that we don't have time to resubmit.  But if someone else does, be certain to add a link here so we can vote!

reedt
Community Novice

Hi Scott

Thank you for the information. Likert scale question types would be a welcome addition for our campus. We currently have a separate, locally-developed system for mid-semester teaching evaluations. Canvas' account-level question banks, and survey features would meet this need nicely.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Tanys,

Please be on the lookout for a series of improvements to quizzes/tests in the coming year. 

Thanks,

SD

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Team!

We hear you loud and clear. We are exploring some new ideas around this question type inside of Canvas. There is more to come as we plan a future roadmap for the tool, which includes Likert scale questions. More to come as I am able to share...

Kind regards,

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

One thing to consider that the current workaround manages (albeit clumsily) is labeling the scale for scalar items.

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I tested the Likert Scale with New Quizzes, and I found out that the choices are shuffled. There is an option to shuffle questions, not answers in questions.

Likert shuffled

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

Slider questions need to be added as a question type for this to work.

If there are two or multiple Likert items in a single question, a dialog will be displayed, as shown below. The question will be repeated again at the top of the dialog box, with the sliders at the bottom.

HOW IT WORKS

• Students can rate each item on a scale.
  • The scale can start at 0 or 1 (1 is the default setting).
  • The scale can end on a whole number from 2 to 10 (5 is the default setting).

Likert slider

Sample Likert question in New Quizzes using sliders. For all items, the default Likert scale range is between 1 and 5. The number corresponding to each item is shown to the right of each slider.

Student View for Responses

This is the expected result after the responses from the previous image have been submitted. In New Quizzes, however, each response will be a number rather than phrases like "Disagree" and "Strongly Agree."

NikkiM
Community Novice

Can you please add a option for a survey question to be embedded inside a quiz.  I know you can do just a survey, but I need for Question #1 of my quiz to have all answer options counted as correct.  But the rest of the quiz will have right/wrong answers.  So please add a multiple choice SURVEY question as one of the many options of styles of questions to use on quizzes.

kate_demello
Community Explorer

@Kelvin_Dean how did you test that? I don't see it as an option in New Quizzes currently? 

Still looking for a solution to this on new quizzes. Anyone have an update? 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!