[New Quizzes] New Quizzes: Multiple Answers in a Formula Question

This idea is based on extending the Formula Question type to allow for multiple answers to be entered by students.

Currently, the Formula question type is fine for simple calculated answer questions that only ask for one final response from students. We have several instructors that would like to generate data based on ranges, but also to ask for several answers based on that generated data.

One example of this would be a financial statement or budget sheet. Instructors and Designers would like to generate random data elements for some parts of these sheets, but ask for multiple answers from the same set of generated data such as the following list of questions:

"What is the Inventory Turnover? What is the AR Turnover? What is the AP Turnover? What is the Inventory Period? What is the AR Period? What is the Operating Cycle? What is the Cash Cycle? What is Net Working Capital for 2013?"

Each answer is based on the same data, but uses different formulas to determine the correct result.

69 Comments
jeb5123
Community Contributor

Based on Jason Sparks' answer above, it seems we may not see this feature for quite some time. Possibly not until the new quizzing tool is completed and released.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

ericvandernoot
Community Member

Agreed.  This feature could be implemented so that a problem can be solved step-wise.  Often physics or astronomy problems take the result of one equation and plug it into another.  Such a feature could help automatically guide students to where they went wrong in their work. 

bryanjos
Community Novice

By multi-variable, do you mean the ability to require multiple answers?  This idea is not about having formulas that include multiple variables (which is now available and wonderful, by the way!) but about requiring students to enter multiple answers based on the same random dataset.  Essentially we're talking about checking the student's responses against two or more formulas in the question, rather than just one final formula.  This seems very similar to the Fill In Multiple Blanks with numerical tolerances idea, only using randomized data instead of static values for the calculation.

cornelis_kok
Community Novice

Seems that I cannot access this area. I'm looking forward to this functionality being developed.

parrs1
Community Novice

This is unacceptable. Moodle has this feature and did so by keeping a bank of random variables associated with each question bank. The random variables can be called upon during any quiz. This question was asked almost two years ago and still hasn't been addressed. This functionality is necessary for any STEM class. Without it, the quizzes are of very little use for asking STEM questions.

bryanjos
Community Novice

That sounds like an excellent approach.  Then the variables are not restricted to a single question but can be accessed by all the quiz questions.  This would allow for randomized quizzes that are self-consistent--each question building off the last one.  I like this idea a lot!

cwright6
Community Novice

Add me to the list of those in disbelief that this is not a capability already.  I can't remember ever asking a question on an assignment, quiz or exam that required only one response.  I've had questions that used an initial set of data and then had (a)-(h) parts (for example, a linear regression question.)  That's eight different answers!  It would pointless to separate that into eight individual questions.  How was this not in the works from day 1?!

sshumway
Community Novice

Amen brother.

richard_gosseli
Community Novice

Greetings:

OK. We are now three years away from the time that Canvas management indicated that this feature was on the radar screen. In fact, it was intimidated that it would be looked at in the next six months. Still to this date not only do we not have multiple formula questions ready but there doesn't appear to be any plans for developing it. Now I understand why my colleagues in mathematics and science are so frustrated. This can't be that hard.