[New Quizzes] New Quizzes: Multiple Answers in a Formula Question

This idea is based on extending the Formula Question type to allow for multiple answers to be entered by students.

Currently, the Formula question type is fine for simple calculated answer questions that only ask for one final response from students. We have several instructors that would like to generate data based on ranges, but also to ask for several answers based on that generated data.

One example of this would be a financial statement or budget sheet. Instructors and Designers would like to generate random data elements for some parts of these sheets, but ask for multiple answers from the same set of generated data such as the following list of questions:

"What is the Inventory Turnover? What is the AR Turnover? What is the AP Turnover? What is the Inventory Period? What is the AR Period? What is the Operating Cycle? What is the Cash Cycle? What is Net Working Capital for 2013?"

Each answer is based on the same data, but uses different formulas to determine the correct result.

69 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

momot
Community Novice

This would be great for answers that require multiple parts, such as vectors where 3 numbers are needed or complex math where you have a real part and an imaginary part!  Great idea!

tpavlic
Community Participant

Related to this, we should be able to state that a correct answer is some conjunction or disjunction of several continuous ranges. Imagine a question asking a student to choose a hypothetical population mean that is rejected by a given confidence interval. In that case, they should pick some number outside of the interval -- that would mean picking a number "less than a OR greater than b" (alternatively, "NOT between a and b"). Right now there is no way to assess students to test for this kind of comprehension. It is possible to shoehorn a single range (by specifying the center of the range and a tolerance value that covers the rest of it), but there's no way to say "outside a range" or "above OR below".

ernest_goh
Community Novice

Hello the people in Canvas, this idea was first suggested in 2015, and we are still waiting for it! Is it all that hard to implement? Can't it be done in an afternoon or something? The question that a STEM teacher might ask is: Given the angle [theta], a) what is the sine of the angle? b) what is the cosine of the angle? c) (multiple choice) Is it a/an -acute angle, -obtuse angle, -reflex angle

pam_quackenbush
Community Novice

I have been wanting this feature forever... it definitely limits my wanting to use Canvas quizzes to assess. I doesn't seem like this should be a difficult task. Fingers crossed. 

parrs1
Community Novice

I finally figured out a work around. 

First, join the faculty senate at your university.

Next, lobby your fellow faculty members to drop Canvas

Finally, contract with Moodle.

I realize this may take some time, but since this post is almost 4 years old, it will certainly be faster than waiting on Canvas to fix the problem.

goodman
Community Novice

This can't be that difficult - shouldn't take more than a day to implement. Please get it done.

ilinkbs
Community Novice

UN

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

jryter1
Community Participant

This was an option many years ago with WEbCT. AND you could use scientific notation. Can we use scientific notation here?

christopher_arm
Community Novice

I agree with the above comments.

A multiple Formula option in a quiz question would be most helpful to me.  Currently, a simple question such as "What is the equilibrium price and quantity?" cannot be accommodated in a formula question.  Its a bit limited.

Keep working on it.