New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17).

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

68 Comments
george_franz
Community Participant

I agree with @msubstel and especially @stuart_walsh.  Without the full fuctionality of the rest of things that might go in modules, New Quizzes is more like a Beta release.  "Try it and make suggestions before we give it full funcionallity and roll it out".  I can't use it at all until it's fixed.  It breaks too many things that I've built into my course navigation for literally years. (since I started using canvas over Moodle).

raehale
Community Explorer

I absolutely love this idea! 

Since I disable assignments and have students go through modules to access their materials, this would be wonderful to keep them on track to complete their tasks in order. 

michael_deschry
Community Explorer

Please Canvas. Add a 'next' and 'previous' button to the new quizzes!

BenM
Community Member

I think this idea would be super useful for a lot of different instructors. Currently, we are having our biology students complete Labs online using the Pages feature so that they can be turned into modules, but it's not really intuitive nor user-friendly to have the Quizzes be a separate feature. I think having a Next button for Quizzes so that they can be organized within a Module (with Pages, or directly embedded into Pages, similar to TopHat) would be super user-friendly and beneficial to a lot of students and instructors alike. Please consider implementing this feature soon!

mrash2
Community Explorer

Yes, this is absolutely needed. Currently, it feels jolting to be dumped back to Modules when, up to this point, I've been able to navigate using Next/Previous. It also isn't immediately apparent to students that they need to use the Return button in the first place.

jeremy_evans
Community Explorer

I agree 100%!  This has to be fixed before the old quizzes go away.  I just worked to create PD for the teachers in my county and we learned the hard way that the return button takes you back to whatever the homepage of the course is, not always the modules page.  Many people were confused and thought they had completed the PD because they were sent back to the homepage we created. 

I also wish that the new quizzes would tell you which students answered which question choice like the old quizzes do.  This is a huge resource for being able to pull small groups and reteach if necessary.  

jeremy_evans
Community Explorer

There needs to be a previous & next button at the bottom of new quizzes when they are part of a module.  As of right now they only have a return button at the top right-hand side for students to click when they are finished.  The return button sends people back to the homepage of the course which causes students to believe they are finished with a module when they aren't.  The current set up with the return button is frustrating for both instructors & students.

casey_rimmer
Community Explorer

Please make this an option! 

mcclungch
Community Member

In classic quizzes, there is a "next" button after students do the quiz to continue onto the next page of the module.

In new quizzes, the only options are "submit" and "return."  The return buttons gets students lost.  Can there be a "next" button once they are finished and have submitted their quiz to keep them going to the next page of the module?

JulieCrowley
Community Novice

Just wondering if there has been any progress on this?