cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

(61)

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

47 Comments
george_franz
Surveyor II

I agree with @msubstel and especially @stuart_walsh.  Without the full fuctionality of the rest of things that might go in modules, New Quizzes is more like a Beta release.  "Try it and make suggestions before we give it full funcionallity and roll it out".  I can't use it at all until it's fixed.  It breaks too many things that I've built into my course navigation for literally years. (since I started using canvas over Moodle).

raehale
Surveyor II

I absolutely love this idea! 

Since I disable assignments and have students go through modules to access their materials, this would be wonderful to keep them on track to complete their tasks in order. 

michael_deschry
Surveyor II

Please Canvas. Add a 'next' and 'previous' button to the new quizzes!

BenM
Surveyor

I think this idea would be super useful for a lot of different instructors. Currently, we are having our biology students complete Labs online using the Pages feature so that they can be turned into modules, but it's not really intuitive nor user-friendly to have the Quizzes be a separate feature. I think having a Next button for Quizzes so that they can be organized within a Module (with Pages, or directly embedded into Pages, similar to TopHat) would be super user-friendly and beneficial to a lot of students and instructors alike. Please consider implementing this feature soon!

mrash2
Surveyor II

Yes, this is absolutely needed. Currently, it feels jolting to be dumped back to Modules when, up to this point, I've been able to navigate using Next/Previous. It also isn't immediately apparent to students that they need to use the Return button in the first place.

jeremy_evans
Surveyor II

I agree 100%!  This has to be fixed before the old quizzes go away.  I just worked to create PD for the teachers in my county and we learned the hard way that the return button takes you back to whatever the homepage of the course is, not always the modules page.  Many people were confused and thought they had completed the PD because they were sent back to the homepage we created. 

I also wish that the new quizzes would tell you which students answered which question choice like the old quizzes do.  This is a huge resource for being able to pull small groups and reteach if necessary.  

jeremy_evans
Surveyor II

There needs to be a previous & next button at the bottom of new quizzes when they are part of a module.  As of right now they only have a return button at the top right-hand side for students to click when they are finished.  The return button sends people back to the homepage of the course which causes students to believe they are finished with a module when they aren't.  The current set up with the return button is frustrating for both instructors & students.

casey_rimmer
Surveyor II

Please make this an option! 

mcclungch
Surveyor

In classic quizzes, there is a "next" button after students do the quiz to continue onto the next page of the module.

In new quizzes, the only options are "submit" and "return."  The return buttons gets students lost.  Can there be a "next" button once they are finished and have submitted their quiz to keep them going to the next page of the module?

JulieCrowley
Surveyor

Just wondering if there has been any progress on this?

michael_deschry
Surveyor II

Please fix this!

julia_m_hopkins
Surveyor II

How come this hasn't been fixed yet? !  

I've just made four quizzes in New Quizzes and have come up against this issue of students being ejected out to the home page! They would completely lose their place in the course.   

I'm now going to have to convert them all to Classic Quizzes. 

kellbaer
Surveyor

Please make this function happen soon!  My students are in first-grade, they are 6 years old.  To have them kicked out of the module is terrible!  I can't tell you how long it took to get them used to the Next and Previous buttons!  Now, with New Quizzes, they will be kicked out of the module?  No, please make the Next and Previous buttons available in New Quizzes!

george_franz
Surveyor II

I use module progression for the "previous" "next" feature and for requirements & prerequisites, but Hide the actual modules because I use Pages as the home page and as landing pages for each unit, week, and day.  Since the students do not see modules, the "Return" in new quizzes just dumps them back at the home page.  Students have to drill al the way back down to where they started, and can still get lost.  Embedding the quiz in a page is a partial work-around, but then require a passing grade to move on, since pages don't have grades.

Without "previous" and "next" features, new quizzes completly breaks the "flow" of the courses I have designed over the last few years and for that reason alone I cannot use it.

It needs to be fixed before classic quizzes goes away.  It's the primary reason that I have not switched and that none of my fellow staff have switched. 

This timeline is way to fast for as many bugs/missing features as new quizzes has.  At a bare minimum it should have the full functionality of classic quizzes.  Learning a new feature can be fun, but having something you've used for years suddenly stop working is staggeringly bad form.  Adding new features is fine, but a new release should never remove prior functionality.  It just isn't done.  

bishopta
Surveyor

Without the next button, my third graders loose their place and don't complete all their work for the day. This causes more work for me to go back and check who still needs to complete work and send emails to parents about the missing work. Please include the 'next' button for students to smoothing move through their assignments in order.

acgottfr
Surveyor II

I thought this was just an issue for me as an instructor.  It wastes so much of my time to have to return, reload the module, find the spot for the quiz, etc.

briddell
Surveyor II

Agreed. The 'next' button is the mail reason we use modules and breaking this for the new quizzes is EXTREMELY problematic. Let's hope this can be figured out soon. 

juliana_brassfi
Surveyor

PLEASE! THIS WOULD SAVE SO MUCH TIME!!

joesph_hoffmann
Surveyor

I agree. This completely disrupts the flow of the module and should be flagged for a high priority "fix". All of the other items have previous and next buttons. At the very least, there should be an option to make it open in a new tab or window until this can be fully embedded in the normal module progression workflow.

rcordeiro1
Surveyor II

Agree this should be there! Is there a way to upvote an idea like this? Or is this as far as it can go up the chain?