New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17).

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

68 Comments
michael_deschry
Community Explorer

Please fix this!

julia_m_hopkins
Community Explorer

How come this hasn't been fixed yet? !  

I've just made four quizzes in New Quizzes and have come up against this issue of students being ejected out to the home page! They would completely lose their place in the course.   

I'm now going to have to convert them all to Classic Quizzes. 

kellbaer
Community Member

Please make this function happen soon!  My students are in first-grade, they are 6 years old.  To have them kicked out of the module is terrible!  I can't tell you how long it took to get them used to the Next and Previous buttons!  Now, with New Quizzes, they will be kicked out of the module?  No, please make the Next and Previous buttons available in New Quizzes!

george_franz
Community Participant

I use module progression for the "previous" "next" feature and for requirements & prerequisites, but Hide the actual modules because I use Pages as the home page and as landing pages for each unit, week, and day.  Since the students do not see modules, the "Return" in new quizzes just dumps them back at the home page.  Students have to drill al the way back down to where they started, and can still get lost.  Embedding the quiz in a page is a partial work-around, but then require a passing grade to move on, since pages don't have grades.

Without "previous" and "next" features, new quizzes completly breaks the "flow" of the courses I have designed over the last few years and for that reason alone I cannot use it.

It needs to be fixed before classic quizzes goes away.  It's the primary reason that I have not switched and that none of my fellow staff have switched. 

This timeline is way to fast for as many bugs/missing features as new quizzes has.  At a bare minimum it should have the full functionality of classic quizzes.  Learning a new feature can be fun, but having something you've used for years suddenly stop working is staggeringly bad form.  Adding new features is fine, but a new release should never remove prior functionality.  It just isn't done.  

bishopta
Community Member

Without the next button, my third graders loose their place and don't complete all their work for the day. This causes more work for me to go back and check who still needs to complete work and send emails to parents about the missing work. Please include the 'next' button for students to smoothing move through their assignments in order.

acgottfr
Community Participant

I thought this was just an issue for me as an instructor.  It wastes so much of my time to have to return, reload the module, find the spot for the quiz, etc.

briddell
Community Participant

Agreed. The 'next' button is the mail reason we use modules and breaking this for the new quizzes is EXTREMELY problematic. Let's hope this can be figured out soon. 

juliana_brassfi
Community Member

PLEASE! THIS WOULD SAVE SO MUCH TIME!!

joesph_hoffmann
Community Explorer

I agree. This completely disrupts the flow of the module and should be flagged for a high priority "fix". All of the other items have previous and next buttons. At the very least, there should be an option to make it open in a new tab or window until this can be fully embedded in the normal module progression workflow.

rcordeiro1
Community Participant

Agree this should be there! Is there a way to upvote an idea like this? Or is this as far as it can go up the chain?